Normally I would never pick a pitcher before round 3, but... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Normally I would never pick a pitcher before round 3, but...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:38 pm

RJ, drafting more pitching is probably going to be the optimal strategy in an unbalanced league, however, you have to look at how many categories a guy will help you out in. If a batter can help you in 7 categories, or even in 6, he's more valuable than a pitcher who helps you in 5 categories.

But since there is no Holds category, it doesn't divide up your pitchers too much. Most pitchers will help you in either 6 or 7 categories. So pitching is the optimal strategy.

There's a twist though. If all of your opponents in the league go for pitching early, it leaves a lot of good hitters open for you. So if, of the 8 people before you, 5 or more take pitchers, just go for hitting, and let them fight over the top pitchers.

A lot of the time, Roto strategy consists of figuring out what everyone else is doing and then doing the opposite (as long as you're not doing the opposite of "get good players").
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby me » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:42 pm

a 'stud starter' wont help you in the sv category
me

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:03 am

EugeneStyles wrote:A lot of the time, Roto strategy consists of figuring out what everyone else is doing and then doing the opposite (as long as you're not doing the opposite of "get good players").

Words of wisdom. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers