Umpires- Possible New Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Umpires- Possible New Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Umpires- Possible New Strategy

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:39 pm

Anybody know if there's a source for umpire crew info other than once a gamebox becomes active? It would be nice to know a few days ahead of time. I've used this info before, and once you see the crew the first game of the series, you know how they will rotate. But, it's hard to keep track of on a regular basis.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:06 pm

I've used this info before

Was it worth your time or just mixed results?
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:45 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:You would think with Questar(I think they still have that, the umpire tracker) they could measure how many pitches were called strikes outside of the strike zone.

Steve-o wrote:MLB does that. It's my understanding that umpires get reports on how the called the game after they call the game in those parks. Somebody let me know if this isn't the case...

KCollins1304 wrote:Yeah I know they evaluate the umpires, I meant like a database that was available for fantasy purposes.

Steve-o wrote:The Questec and umpire reports are kept private. It would be sweet to see how "bad" or "good" umpires are at calling balls and strikes though.

I came to the same conclusion last year after I saw the Cubs - Reds game when Lohse and Lilly combined for 22 Ks.
So I started to evaluate HP umpires, how they are calling the strike zone.
But since Im not wathing many games, its a small sample size, and most of the umpires did well.
Two of the top three K/9 leaders last year, Tom Hallion and Andy Fletcher called strikes were in the zone when I saw them. They didnt give more to the pitcher.
Not like Doug Eddings in that Cubs - Reds game. Hitters should have used bats twice as long to be able to reach those pitches he called strikes.
The other guy I saw givin a bigger zone was Ed Montague. But he wasnt that much out of the zone and was consistent, so hitters could adjust.
And one other guy needs to be mentioned, Larry Poncino. He might just had a bad day, but he had no idea where the strike zone was. Nobody, no hitters no pitchers knew what the pitch is gonna be called. Cant remember what game that was.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby benjapage » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:51 pm

next year, i'm adding a couple umps to my league's line-ups. their Ks will count toward the pitching staff's Ks, their BBs will affect the staff's WHIP. i can't wait.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:23 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
I've used this info before

Was it worth your time or just mixed results?

I have not used it with enough regularity to say. It's one of those things, that if I have time before a game starts, I'll check the umps and maybe make a switch.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers