Head to Head Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Head to Head Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Head to Head Strategy

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:33 pm

I got roped into a head to head league, which ain't really my thing, but whatever, could be fun. Anyway, it has two RP slots, two P slots and counts saves as well as holds. Trying to decide how to allocate my spots. have nathan and cordero, rauch, heilman, neshek. Is it generally better to balance the two, or punt one and just get the absoloute best saves or holds guys, depending on what the options are? I really can't decide here.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Head to Head Strategy

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:40 pm

H2HWS league by any chance? :-b

I don't have any MR's to nab holds on all three of my 6x6 H2HWS leagues, but last year, I usually had 3 closers to go alongside 1 MR. I normally put the tilt towards saves as they tend to be easier to grab than holds especially when your MR isn't a setup man. If I had more than one MR, I'd go with the one that gives me the better chance at K rate and svelte ratios. With your current lineup, I'd go with Nathan and F. Cordero as must-starts, Rauch as third reliever/interim closer, and Neshek as the fourth.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:45 pm

no, its a fairly ridiculous league actually, with stuff like complete game, quality start, shut out and some other dumb things. A good friend asked me, and sight unseen, I agreed. Needless to say, I still want to win it. That is pretty hard to juggle for me though, as obviously I really good setup man is better to have in the lineup than a medicore closer. but where to draw the line.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:05 am

Don't know if it will help, but I've been through this situation in a "friends" league that ran for multiple years (at one point peaking as a 12x12 with a variety of junk cats).
In your situation, what I eventually settled on was two closers/two MR's as the ideal, but preferably with at least one of the MR guys as a likely/potential replacement closer with prime peripherals. If injury/ineffectiveness eventually thrusts that guy into a closer spot, it's easier to find another holds guy in-season than a closer. And maybe you've got trade bait to help the offense or rotation.
Bottom line, though, and you already alluded to this point -- seek the best pitcher for ratios, K's, etc., regardless of bullpen slot. This gets incrementally more important the greater the numbers of categories your dealing with.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:43 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:Don't know if it will help, but I've been through this situation in a "friends" league that ran for multiple years (at one point peaking as a 12x12 with a variety of junk cats).
In your situation, what I eventually settled on was two closers/two MR's as the ideal, but preferably with at least one of the MR guys as a likely/potential replacement closer with prime peripherals. If injury/ineffectiveness eventually thrusts that guy into a closer spot, it's easier to find another holds guy in-season than a closer. And maybe you've got trade bait to help the offense or rotation.
Bottom line, though, and you already alluded to this point -- seek the best pitcher for ratios, K's, etc., regardless of bullpen slot. This gets incrementally more important the greater the numbers of categories your dealing with.

thanks those are some good point. It isn't 12 by 12 yet. (And this is my beef with head to head, you get too many cats to the point that it devalues the more important ones. I don't see how singles are as important as home runs or doubles or whatever).
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:25 am

I think you would be better off with trying to get a good MR than a closer. MRs tend to come out of nowhere and are probably cheaper. Keep an eye on Anthony Reyes. He has great stuff and could be lights out this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Russell James » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:43 pm

I agree with Yoda. I would just stock up on good MRP.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:57 pm

similar to teh above posts....use mostly MRs. people always overvalue closers...and especially when holds is a cat. what holds does is basically make saves worthless....as you can just punt them and balance it out by winning holds.

i like winning holds better bc the guys are cheap...almost free. you definately drafted your closers in teh first half of teh draft....which if we could have gotten to you earlier i would have said was a mistake(imo). i would try and trade your closers to someone who still uses only rankings based on 5X5 leagues...ie yahoo, espn, everybody. you should be able to get good value for them, and just pick up a holder for free. of course if you cant get good value hold onto them, as they are closers for a reason(good stats)

i have played in hold leagues many times and hate it, as half the league loads up on closers and half on holders. it kind of sucks as closers now are very devalued.

a tweak to teh strategy is to keep on your roster one not so good closer, but one who will hold his job. this way you can stash him until you match up against another team w all holders, let him lose that week and try and win saves with 1 or 2
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:36 pm

yea, it's hard to tell. I reached on some closers, as honestly the team felt really loaded to me. I don't really have much perspective on how the league works outside of the stated rules (in that I don't know individual manager's strategies and tendencies etc.) and the rosters seem balanced. I'm posting my roster on my profile, as I don't want people to think that I am trying to skirt rules or something. (I'm not really looking for specific player advice, just a general sense of how I should be aligning my roster in light of the rules.)
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers