and with pick 1.1 wyldstallyns selects jessica biel :-]
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: my biggest fantasy weakness

Postby BrewCrew6 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:05 am

I know what you're saying... Im going to run into it alot this year. Im pretty stacked in the OF (10 team OPS league) with Berkman, Dunn, Burrell, Cust, Hamilton, Bay, Bourn. Im trying to for the most part use Hamilton against RHP and Burrell against LHP in a platoon-type setup as well as keeping Berkman and Dunn in regularly.
BrewCrew6
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby d18Mike » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:29 am

I just don't pay enough attention to BA in the draft. Bites me every year.

It seems the only way to get BA is to draft it. By the time you feel the need trade for it, the category is usually beyond reclamation.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Whomper » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:48 am

Mine is during the draft. Late in the drafts rather than grab a slepper up and comer that I targeted before the draft started I usually grab a former stud/semi stud that is past his prime in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle
Whomper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:02 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:My biggest fantasy weakness is that I can't find a way to get Billy Butler in my lineup. With every swing he takes, I die a little inside. :,-(

what does your roster look like that you cant get him in? must be pretty filthy

It is pretty filthy, it's a 10-teamer with standard positions and 3 utls.

C- B. Molina
1B- D. Lee
2B- B. Phillips
3B- G. Atkins
SS- M. Tejada
OF- M. Holliday, C. Beltran, L. Berkman
Utl- C. Hart, S. Victorino, R. Zimmerman
B- J. Hamilton, B. Butler, A. Gordon
DL- J. Hermida

But to the original poster, I agree with just riding your best players out. It's easy to want to make a quick switch, but that's how you get burned. Just trust that you're best players will get the job done over the long haul. ;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:40 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:But to the original poster, I agree with just riding your best players out. It's easy to want to make a quick switch, but that's how you get burned. Just trust that you're best players will get the job done over the long haul. ;-D

I disagree with this to some extent. I wouldn't bench an elite hitter (like Arod or something) but I'll bench very good hitters who have enough history to say you should bench him on a matchup. Rarely is a guy going to bat against one particular pitcher enough to be able to say he hits this guy well/poorly, but some players do show obvious splits. Hawpe batting poorly against LHPs is one that comes to mind, although he doesn't have THAT many years to say it will continue throughout his whole career. Thome is another - he hits .300 against RHP in his career but like .240 against LHP. I missed his opening day 2-HR game, which sucks, but if I have a decent backup and bench him against every tough LHP starter I will come out ahead over the course of the whole season.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:04 pm

hot4tx wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:But to the original poster, I agree with just riding your best players out. It's easy to want to make a quick switch, but that's how you get burned. Just trust that you're best players will get the job done over the long haul. ;-D

I disagree with this to some extent. I wouldn't bench an elite hitter (like Arod or something) but I'll bench very good hitters who have enough history to say you should bench him on a matchup. Rarely is a guy going to bat against one particular pitcher enough to be able to say he hits this guy well/poorly, but some players do show obvious splits. Hawpe batting poorly against LHPs is one that comes to mind, although he doesn't have THAT many years to say it will continue throughout his whole career. Thome is another - he hits .300 against RHP in his career but like .240 against LHP. I missed his opening day 2-HR game, which sucks, but if I have a decent backup and bench him against every tough LHP starter I will come out ahead over the course of the whole season.

Playing matchups is fine. I don't get the impression that this is what the original poster is doing, though. It seems like he's just playing whoever got hits the previous day. If you want to platoon players and play matchups, then I agree with you. I just didn't get the impression that this is what he was asking about.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby WyldStallyn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:44 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
hot4tx wrote:

Playing matchups is fine. I don't get the impression that this is what the original poster is doing, though. It seems like he's just playing whoever got hits the previous day. If you want to platoon players and play matchups, then I agree with you. I just didn't get the impression that this is what he was asking about.

what i was trying to express in my original post was that, when given the choice between 2 fairly equal players to start on a given day, i almost always pick the wrong one. yesterday i had a choice between edwin encarnacion and kouzmanoff. i went with kouz, and edwin hit a hr while kouz did nothing. another example would be your stud OFer has a day off, and you have a choice between rowand and damon to put in his spot for that day. you pick rowand, and damon steals 2 bases while rowand goes 0-4.

edit: and of course, kouz hits a home run !+)
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers