Soriano Back to Leadoff Spot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano Back to Leadoff Spot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano Back to Leadoff Spot

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 pm

Imortant info for you who own him...Theriot to #2...
It only took two games for Lou Piniella to change his mind and put Alfonso Soriano back on top of the Cubs’ lineup.

Piniella said Soriano will lead off on Thursday in the Cubs’ series finale against the Milwaukee Brewers. Soriano is 0-for-9 with three strikeouts so far. Last season, when he led off, the Cubs went 69-56.
Was [Derrek] Lee surprised by the move? “I guess I shouldn’t be,” Lee said, chuckling. “Lou likes to shuffle things around.”
Piniella said it wasn’t just Wednesday’s game that prompted him to change his mind and flip-flop Soriano with Ryan Theriot.

“It’s something I’ve been thinking about since the end of Spring Training, and we’ll go with it,” Piniella said. “Soriano is running better. We’ll put him in the leadoff hole, where he’s more comfortable, and let him hit there.”

MLB.com | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Soriano Back to Leadoff Spot

Postby Old_Style » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:53 pm

Soriano, historically, puts up better numbers when leading off. Sounds good to me.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MTUCache » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:55 pm

Just cut Theriot... not that I was looking for a reason to, I just had somebody else I'd rather have on my roster. :-b

In any case, I'm still up in the air on Piniella's base-path strategy this year with his team. Part of me would like to think that he's going to be aggressive and run more (given Theriot/Soriano and a possible Roberts), but until I see it I can completely imagine him going in the other direction too and avoiding any risk whatsoever while Lee/Ramirez/Fukudome do their thing at the plate.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cyclone177 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:06 am

Maybe Soriano can start producing some. I have hated him since he cost the Yanks the series, and so far, I hate him more every day he goes 0 fer.
Cyclone177
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:58 am

does this mean soriano runs now? lou said he won't be running until the weather warms up.

theriot was actually 2-4 today, that didn't help?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:03 am

Theriot will still be a great real-life and fantasy player. He'll be stealing plenty. He hit well today so no worries.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BigZ38 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:35 am

Cyclone177 wrote:Maybe Soriano can start producing some. I have hated him since he cost the Yanks the series, and so far, I hate him more every day he goes 0 fer.

But the day you bench him he goes 4 for 5 with 2 homers, 5 rbis, a steal and 3 runs.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:34 am

Soriano might be the most frustrating superstar player to watch...

I remember reading an article talking about how they don't want Soriano running too much...how many SBs can we expect? I don't own him, but he's a good guy to target later on since he started out slow last year and then heated up.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TBallgame » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:17 am

I don't know how much the Cubs are going to want him to run this year, but I can understand him leading off. For some strange reason he hits worlds better when leading off. Plus, when leading off he is good for at least 6 leadoff homeruns a year. I do not think we will ever see Soriano put up the SBs like he used to, but I can see his HR numbers go up above an average year
"I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated." Al McGuire
TBallgame
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:31 pm

I think it's a good move even if it's this early. Theoretically, I'd like to see Soriano in the two-hole as it would spike up his RBI total, but he tends to produce best hitting leadoff.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers