Yahoo Stattracker problems - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Stattracker problems

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo Stattracker problems

Postby Madison » Wed May 07, 2008 6:30 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Madison wrote:Tried it this evening and it updated just like it is supposed to, so I'd say it isn't a Vista problem. ;-D

I'm pretty sure it isn't a "It doesn't work with Vista" problem. More like a "Vista does security things that might stop it from working depending on your installation, network, and configuration." problem.

Exactly, yet all you hear is "Vista this" and "Vista that".

I've been on Vista for well over a year with only 2 problems, one of which I wouldn't really call a problem. The "kinda" problem is my favorite firewall that I pay for doesn't have a Vista version, so I had to go with 2 different firewalls. Not exactly a "problem" per say, but does kinda qualify. The other issue is the wireless doesn't work quite like it should, but a rebuild will fix that (just haven't had time to do it).

So when I hear "Vista this" and "Vista that" when it comes to problems with things I use (like Stattracker) and I know it to be false because it's a setup problem not a Vista problem, then I sometimes just have to point out that the blame is being laid somewhere it shouldn't be. Meh, oh well. :-b ;-) And in the spirit of things, I'll toss on that I've been on Vista Ultimate ever since going to Vista, so if "plain jane default" Vista has issues, then ok, fine, I'm wrong and I should shut up. :-b ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed May 07, 2008 9:22 pm

Madison wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Madison wrote:Tried it this evening and it updated just like it is supposed to, so I'd say it isn't a Vista problem. ;-D

I'm pretty sure it isn't a "It doesn't work with Vista" problem. More like a "Vista does security things that might stop it from working depending on your installation, network, and configuration." problem.

Exactly, yet all you hear is "Vista this" and "Vista that".

I've been on Vista for well over a year with only 2 problems, one of which I wouldn't really call a problem. The "kinda" problem is my favorite firewall that I pay for doesn't have a Vista version, so I had to go with 2 different firewalls. Not exactly a "problem" per say, but does kinda qualify. The other issue is the wireless doesn't work quite like it should, but a rebuild will fix that (just haven't had time to do it).

So when I hear "Vista this" and "Vista that" when it comes to problems with things I use (like Stattracker) and I know it to be false because it's a setup problem not a Vista problem, then I sometimes just have to point out that the blame is being laid somewhere it shouldn't be. Meh, oh well. :-b ;-) And in the spirit of things, I'll toss on that I've been on Vista Ultimate ever since going to Vista, so if "plain jane default" Vista has issues, then ok, fine, I'm wrong and I should shut up. :-b ;-)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't cut Vista that much slack ;-) When I say that it may just be a configuration thing, I mean something like, "It works with Vista. Your mother simply must tell the Windows firewall to pass traffic on ports 843, 1843, and 8900." Sure, it would be great if every user was deeply in touch with every port and security aspect of their machine, but I don't think that is realistic. If you give most users a machine that works as long as they are prepared to administer a firewall, you've effectively given them a broken machine. Clearly I'm a software guy, and I went out of my way to get XP on my most recently purchased PC. Even if I could get stuff like this to work, that is a headache I just don't need. I didn't mean, "You can configure Vista so that you've broken it." I meant more like, "Out of the box, Vista often won't work, unless you are diligent and patient enough to figure out how to reconfigure it."
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Madison » Wed May 07, 2008 11:51 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't cut Vista that much slack ;-) When I say that it may just be a configuration thing, I mean something like, "It works with Vista. Your mother simply must tell the Windows firewall to pass traffic on ports 843, 1843, and 8900." Sure, it would be great if every user was deeply in touch with every port and security aspect of their machine, but I don't think that is realistic. If you give most users a machine that works as long as they are prepared to administer a firewall, you've effectively given them a broken machine. Clearly I'm a software guy, and I went out of my way to get XP on my most recently purchased PC. Even if I could get stuff like this to work, that is a headache I just don't need. I didn't mean, "You can configure Vista so that you've broken it." I meant more like, "Out of the box, Vista often won't work, unless you are diligent and patient enough to figure out how to reconfigure it."

I'll disagree about having to "break" Vista in order for it to work. Not the case at all.

However, I do agree that the majority of computer users do not know how to set up a computer to do all of the things they want it to do. And I agree that a computer really should do everything the consumer wants it to do right out of the box.

So Vista does have issues for some people, but it's not the root of all evil and worthy of such a bad reputation either. And it's not that I'm a Microsoft fanboy or anything like that, I could care less who makes the programs I use, provided the program/etc. works, and as I said, really no Vista issues at all here.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Montana » Thu May 08, 2008 4:14 am

Mine works..........but about once a day or more, in each of my league's, it will show zero stats, and still have yesterday's game totals.

Then I refresh or click another league (sometimes I have to do this numerous times) and then it starts working again.

Any idea's as to why that might be?
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Ryno23 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:03 pm

Why does the game screen go blank as soon as the last out is recorded? Can there be a 30 second delay so you know what happens at the end of a game?
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNC » Mon May 19, 2008 8:26 pm

No fan of Vista here, but the solution re: opening ports did work for me. Surprise, surprise. Opened ports 1843 and 11999 (UDP) and scope of internal network only, restarted computer, and started getting live updates immediately.
RedSoxNC
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Mayor Daley » Mon May 19, 2008 8:48 pm

Buy a Mac.
(someone had to say it)
Mayor Daley
College Coach
College Coach

Postby saemick » Tue May 20, 2008 10:01 am

Mayor Daley wrote:Buy a Mac.
(someone had to say it)

Haha, good call ;-D
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scrumpyjack4 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:03 pm

I have a similar problem to some of the other Stattracker/Windows Vista issues already posted. I opened ports 1843 and 11999, and I also switched to an earlier version of Flash, but my stats are still not updating whenever I open StatTracker. Are there any new developments in this glitch?
scrumpyjack4
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Ursa » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Since someone resurrected this thread I thought I'd put in my annual appeal for Yahoo to totally rewrite StatTracker from scratch. It is badly behaved, old and smelly. Yahoo needs to sneak a look at CBS's live scoring which, wonder of wonders, doesn't need a separate window and doesn't freeze the entire computer each time it updates.

Thank you. :-D
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers