Barry Bonds next destination? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds next destination?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Barry Bonds next destination?

Postby Rhydderch » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:02 pm

Seattle maybe?

Apr 2 Gerry Fraley, of SportingNews.com, reports the Seattle Mariners could pursue free-agent OF Barry Bonds (Giants) to serve as a designated hitter later this season. The Mariners started the season with DH Jose Vidro batting seventh in the order - only one other team in the American League batted a designated hitter as low or lower to start the season. The Mariners also got poor power production out of their designated hitters last season; Mariners DHs hit nine home runs last season - worst in the AL - and placed next to last in slugging percentage (.389).

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Barry Bonds next destination?

Postby -Slap- » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Federal prison and, eventually, Hell.
Aaron 755
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Griffey 593
Robinson 586
Killebrew 573
Jackson 563
Schmidt 548
Mantle 536
Foxx 534
-Slap-
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:11 pm

-Slap- wrote:Federal prison and, eventually, Hell.

Seek help, bro. :-t
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby MTUCache » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Although Seattle:

1) being in the AL
2) having a weak(ish) DH
3) being a borderline post-season team
and
4) being on the West coast

does seem like a completely logical place for him to go... I think their management has made a point of saying (during ST) that they weren't interested in Bonds because of their clubhouse chemistry and other "intangible" reasons.

Now, that's not to say that being 4 games back after the ASB, and having their DH-spot batting a .250 with only 10 homeruns, that they wouldn't be interested. But, until they get to that point, I don't think they feel like it would be a very popular move with their fanbase. They need to get a little "disgruntled" about their offensive performance before they're willing to overlook the baggage that Barry brings with him.

In the meantime, there really doesn't seem like there's any AL team with his kind of cash, in a position to make a playoff push, and lacking a steady DH presence, who would make that kind of move.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:20 pm

I really hope so, but I seriously doubt it. First of all, M's management has really shown that they like "high character" guys (whatever that really means). So the fact that Bonds if facing charges is not going to go over well with the front office. In fact Howard Lincoln (CEO) said a couple weeks back that he could not envision a scenario in which they'd sign Bonds. Secondly, I really don't think they're that smart. I mean they insist that Vidro is a stellar DH, when he's got nothing going for him other than an empty inflated average. Hell Bonds would even be better defensively than Ibanez is LF. Throw in the fact that they've already made the decision to "go for it now" by trading AJ+ for Bedard, you'd really think they'd try to put the best possible team out there. As it stands right now the club is not very good offensively, I just don't think they know it.

Anyway, it all just makes too much sense for the M's to actually pursue it. :-[ :-C

And as far as the DH hitting .250 with 10 HRs at the ASB, that's a pretty aggressive guess at Vidro's power numbers. :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby -Slap- » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:54 pm

edit
Aaron 755
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Griffey 593
Robinson 586
Killebrew 573
Jackson 563
Schmidt 548
Mantle 536
Foxx 534
-Slap-
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:37 pm

MTUCache wrote:Now, that's not to say that being 4 games back after the ASB, and having their DH-spot batting a .250 with only 10 homeruns, that they wouldn't be interested. But, until they get to that point, I don't think they feel like it would be a very popular move with their fanbase. They need to get a little "disgruntled" about their offensive performance before they're willing to overlook the baggage that Barry brings with him.

Getting 'disgruntled' is all it takes for Sox fans to start thinking about this guy, haha. But it's true.. I don't think it would necessarily be the money that keeps Bonds from Seattle but more like the fanbase and locker room issues as has been mentioned. Still, despite his past and demeanor Bonds can still be a strong presence in the 4th or 5th spot. For a desperate team down the road it might not take much convincing to hire the guy.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:18 pm

I was hoping Oakland, even if it is for the "circus attraction".
But I can't see it.
I'm thinking this is career over for Barry.
It's a shame because he might have some fumes left in the tank to push someone into the post-season.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Mugrila » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I really hope so, but I seriously doubt it. First of all, M's management has really shown that they like "high character" guys (whatever that really means). So the fact that Bonds if facing charges is not going to go over well with the front office. In fact Howard Lincoln (CEO) said a couple weeks back that he could not envision a scenario in which they'd sign Bonds. Secondly, I really don't think they're that smart. I mean they insist that Vidro is a stellar DH, when he's got nothing going for him other than an empty inflated average. Hell Bonds would even be better defensively than Ibanez is LF. Throw in the fact that they've already made the decision to "go for it now" by trading AJ+ for Bedard, you'd really think they'd try to put the best possible team out there. As it stands right now the club is not very good offensively, I just don't think they know it.

Anyway, it all just makes too much sense for the M's to actually pursue it. :-[ :-C

And as far as the DH hitting .250 with 10 HRs at the ASB, that's a pretty aggressive guess at Vidro's power numbers. :-b

I would love to have him too, it's just painful to watch us strand baserunner after baserunner. But I agree, I don't think management understands that they traded away the future for this year and don't have all the other parts in place to make it happen.

Edit: What do you know, Vidro goes yard. :-b
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby mweir145 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:44 pm

The Toronto Blue Jays need this guy. Think about the possiblities. Playoffs for one...a legitimate chance at a World Series...media attention...a full SkyDome...money for the Ted Rogers, the owner.

But they'll never do it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers