Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:34 pm

West wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:I wasn't going to risk him against Milwaukee's offense in my league that's counting losses but I'd like it if all guys who got rocked could at least put up some nice strikeout numbers.

At least you're looking at the positives - 8:2 K:BB in 4IP
I'm pretty sure he'll get his act together by May, but he won't be in my starting lineup until he does.

Milwaukee has a really stacked offense and it was a road start. I'll likely give him the start when he faces San Diego or St. Louis.

anti elian wrote:Speaking of Hughes, can anyone explain why he's lost a lot of the hype that these other guys have? He was probably the most highly regarded prospect of any of the players in this thread and finished the season nicely after the injury setback. Yet I always end up with him at around picks 170-190 and I feel like I'm getting a steal when his peers like Gollardo go about 80 picks earlier.

When he first came back from his hamstring injury, he was pitching like a future #3, not an ace, and didn't really get back to his old form until the playoffs.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
anti elian wrote:Speaking of Hughes, can anyone explain why he's lost a lot of the hype that these other guys have? He was probably the most highly regarded prospect of any of the players in this thread and finished the season nicely after the injury setback. Yet I always end up with him at around picks 170-190 and I feel like I'm getting a steal when his peers like Gollardo go about 80 picks earlier.

When he first came back from his hamstring injury, he was pitching like a future #3, not an ace, and didn't really get back to his old form until the playoffs.

Somewhat to be expected considering he was rusty, though the last month of the season he pitched great. In September in 5 starts he posted a 2.73 era 1.18 whip and continued to look good in the playoffs like you said. Anyways if we are truely being technical about the next "Hamels" or "Liriano" he might fill the bill very closely. Highly touted guys who both battled injuries only to come on and light it up.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby anti elian » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:50 pm

hybrid wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

Somewhat to be expected considering he was rusty, though the last month of the season he pitched great. In September in 5 starts he posted a 2.73 era 1.18 whip and continued to look good in the playoffs like you said. Anyways if we are truely being technical about the next "Hamels" or "Liriano" he might fill the bill very closely. Highly touted guys who both battled injuries only to come on and light it up.

Yeah, and it looks like he was on a pretty strict pitch count after the injury too. I'm gonna blame the loss of hype on all the bandwagon Sawks fans and their long-lost cousins all named Sully who find it cool to hate the Yanks. ;-D
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:53 pm

hybrid wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

It was still funny to see a former Yankee prospect actually become underrated.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers