Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:23 pm

Is Nick Blackburn really any good? He seems more like a guy who just had a nice start over having the potential to become a major find.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JoshExley » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:44 pm

Yoda wrote:Just watched Cueto's outing. One word describes his outing today. Wow. He works quickly, attacks the hitters and when he misses, it isn't by much.

He has a great moving mid 90s fastball that he can command at will. Upper 80s late breaking slider and a mid 80s change up that he threw at will at various counts.

He didn't make a lot of mistakes today and even the Upton HR was a good pitch. Upton just beat him there. The most impressive thing was how he bounced back from blowing the perfect game in the 6th and retired the rest of the batters that he faced. He was completely unfazed.

He developed very quickly and he is very polished for a rookie pitcher. I know he will hit his rough patches but it's hard to imagine that he will completely fall apart. He's going to be very good.

Yeah. It might've been said before, but he really reminded me of Pedro Martinez. Not a big guy, but can DEAL. His follow through is even Pedro-esque. Must be a D.R. thang.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:47 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Is Nick Blackburn really any good? He seems more like a guy who just had a nice start over having the potential to become a major find.

Last year in AAA he was 7-3 with a 2.11 ERA, 7 HRs allowed in 110 IP, and a 57:12 K:BB ratio.
He began the year in AA and was 3-1 with a 3.08 ERA, 1 HR allowed in 38 IP, and a 18:7 K:BB ratio.

Everything other than his K/9 looks very promising...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:30 pm

j24jags wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Is Nick Blackburn really any good? He seems more like a guy who just had a nice start over having the potential to become a major find.

Last year in AAA he was 7-3 with a 2.11 ERA, 7 HRs allowed in 110 IP, and a 57:12 K:BB ratio.
He began the year in AA and was 3-1 with a 3.08 ERA, 1 HR allowed in 38 IP, and a 18:7 K:BB ratio.

Everything other than his K/9 looks very promising...

Those numbers aren't really that amazing considering he was a 25 year old with 6 years of MiLB experience. Actually watching him pitch rather than the numbers would probably help because a poster on minorleagueball.com said he was throwing serious heat, even touching 96. I would have guessed just from the numbers that he probably doesn't get above 90 that often. If he has that velocity with the solid command, then he becomes a really nice option. He's still worth a flier right now anyway, just trying to figure out whether or not we'll still remember his name by June.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The River » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Anyone believe Cueto is worth burning a #1 Waiver Pick in a 10 team, nonkeeper league? I am on the fence. :-?
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:11 pm

The River wrote:Anyone believe Cueto is worth burning a #1 Waiver Pick in a 10 team, nonkeeper league? I am on the fence. :-?

I would do it. He's got a pretty big upside.

On another note, I hope none of you started Jon Sanchez vs. Mil today. !+)
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:35 pm

West wrote:
The River wrote:Anyone believe Cueto is worth burning a #1 Waiver Pick in a 10 team, nonkeeper league? I am on the fence. :-?

I wasn't going to risk him against Milwaukee's offense in my league that's counting losses but I'd like it if all guys who got rocked could at least put up some nice strikeout numbers.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CineMamet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:45 pm

But who will most likely succeed THIS year. I've seen names thrown around, but will those take time or will they have the Liriano impact?

Regardless, let's all enter Cueto's kingdom:
viewtopic.php?t=333662
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby West » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:53 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
West wrote:

I wasn't going to risk him against Milwaukee's offense in my league that's counting losses but I'd like it if all guys who got rocked could at least put up some nice strikeout numbers.

At least you're looking at the positives - 8:2 K:BB in 4IP
I'm pretty sure he'll get his act together by May, but he won't be in my starting lineup until he does.

CineMamet wrote:But who will most likely succeed THIS year. I've seen names thrown around, but will those take time or will they have the Liriano impact?

If we're talking this year, I'll stick with most of my list. I'd say Hughes, Mcgowan, Cueto/Volquez and Kershaw are the hottest choices out of all of them. Also Micah Owings is looking pretty strong right now - 5IP 1baserunner, 7K vs. Colorado, in Colorado.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby anti elian » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:32 pm

West wrote:
At least you're looking at the positives - 8:2 K:BB in 4IP
I'm pretty sure he'll get his act together by May, but he won't be in my starting lineup until he does.

If we're talking this year, I'll stick with most of my list. I'd say Hughes, Mcgowan, Cueto/Volquez and Kershaw are the hottest choices out of all of them. Also Micah Owings is looking pretty strong right now - 5IP 1baserunner, 7K vs. Colorado, in Colorado.

Speaking of Hughes, can anyone explain why he's lost a lot of the hype that these other guys have? He was probably the most highly regarded prospect of any of the players in this thread and finished the season nicely after the injury setback. Yet I always end up with him at around picks 170-190 and I feel like I'm getting a steal when his peers like Gollardo go about 80 picks earlier.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers