Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc

Postby The River » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Hola all, I thought it would be insightful to everyone here if we all stated who we feel has the potential to be this year's new young stud SP. We have seen our Liriano's, Hamel's, Lincecum's etc. From what I hear, people seem to be big on Cueto out of Cincy and Kershaw out of LA. Anybody have any other players in mind? (*Also, please state your reasoning as to why they are the up and coming fantasy stud pitcher THIS season or NEXT/FUTURE). It would also be great if you stated # of team League Format the SP should be taken in (10, 12, 14 etc.) and how high a waiver pick should be burned on them. Let the Debate begin!
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Debate: This Year's Liriano, Hamels, Linc

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:38 pm

This year I have Cueto in both of my keeper leagues. I think Kershaw is going to be dynamite when he gets called up so he is probably your best bet.

Also Price but with his recent injury I don't think he will make it this season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Giambis » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm

I agree with Yoda on those guys, but for someone a little deeper, I'll rehype Edinson Volquez:
I'm sure most guys are familiar with him now, but for those unfamiliar with him, he was part of the Texas "DVD" trio of pitching prospects that were all highly regarded in the Rangers system, though in the interest of full disclosure, Danks and Diamond have had zero success thus far in the majors. BP (2007) noted that some scouts projected Volquez to be in the Pedro Martinez class in terms of raw stuff, though nowhere close to his command. That might be generous, but he's never had a problem punching guys out. He had a fantastic spring, and locked down a spot in the Reds rotation. Moving over to the National League can't hurt either.

Keep an eye on him to see if his newfound command holds over in his first couple starts. Note, however, he is a flyball pitcher, and will be hurt by the GAP, so low eras may be difficult. But with his k potential, I'm thinking he can be a useful #4 guy this year in a fantasy rotation, maybe higher if things break right.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j24jags » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Kevin Slowey has a lot of potential also. For some reason people don't hype him up as much as they do Volquez/Cueto/Villanueva etc. I think it is the fact that Slowey is not a fireballer and doesn't rack up the Ks.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:02 pm

J.Danks! Well, he's my 1000:1 pick.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pat189 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 pm

Jair Jurrjens
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby anti elian » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:30 pm

Can you say "Jeff Niemann?"

Seriously, there's Kershaw and then there's everyone else. He's the only one I think is worth grabbing and stashing in advance, I'll probably wait and see on everyone else.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:42 pm

j24jags wrote:Kevin Slowey has a lot of potential also. For some reason people don't hype him up as much as they do Volquez/Cueto/Villanueva etc. I think it is the fact that Slowey is not a fireballer and doesn't rack up the Ks.

I'd take Blackburn over Slowey but I wouldn't place them at Liriano/Hamels/Lincecum levels. But, Blackburn has the most potential to be a star.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Athrun340 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Edinson Volquez :-D
^^Ty Smoovethug^^
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DevilDriver » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:16 pm

j24jags wrote:Kevin Slowey has a lot of potential also. For some reason people don't hype him up as much as they do Volquez/Cueto/Villanueva etc. I think it is the fact that Slowey is not a fireballer and doesn't rack up the Ks.

Exactly, that limits his upside. He has nowhere near the potential of Volquez/Cueto, and that's why he's not as hyped.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers