Jason Bay - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Bay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Bay

Postby Return of the King » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Why do I have a feeling Jason Bay is going to be more of the player we saw in 2007 instead of the player we were hoping for in 2006?
I know it is only one game, but he looked really bad last night 0 for 6.
Return of the King
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jason Bay

Postby Field » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Because that is what you should expect. He has said a few times that his knee isn't really any better than it was last year so I wouldn't expect him to return to 2006 form. The lower-half is so important to hitting that it still amazes me what Bonds did the past few years on two bad knees.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby higherpie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:44 pm

Unfortunately, I agree with you. I think we've seen the best of Bay.

Also, the pop up that he lost in the lights in the 9th inning of a perfect illustration of why MLB needs to come up with a "team error" rule. That pop up was ruled a single, which means the 2 runs scored with 2 outs on that "single" were scored as earned runs. If the official scorer had the option of ruling that "single" a "team error" instead (instead of an error against Bay), the line on Capps would have been much more accurate. He gave up the walks and allowed inherited runners to score, but he also should have been out of the inning before those additional runners scored, because of the "team error".
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:52 pm

higherpie wrote:Unfortunately, I agree with you. I think we've seen the best of Bay.

Also, the pop up that he lost in the lights in the 9th inning of a perfect illustration of why MLB needs to come up with a "team error" rule. That pop up was ruled a single, which means the 2 runs scored with 2 outs on that "single" were scored as earned runs. If the official scorer had the option of ruling that "single" a "team error" instead (instead of an error against Bay), the line on Capps would have been much more accurate. He gave up the walks and allowed inherited runners to score, but he also should have been out of the inning before those additional runners scored, because of the "team error".

That's silly. He lost the ball in the air so I'm not sure how that can qualify as an error let alone dinging the entire team for it. If you saw the game, Capps deserved every single run against him since he put those guys on base. He was terrible against every hitter.

McCann lucked out with that fluky hit but he's been swinging well so far. He's making good contact and hitting everything hard.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby higherpie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:02 pm

Yoda wrote:That's silly. He lost the ball in the air so I'm not sure how that can qualify as an error let alone dinging the entire team for it. If you saw the game, Capps deserved every single run against him since he put those guys on base. He was terrible against every hitter.

Capps deserved to be charged with 2 earned runs for inducing a lazy pop up with 2 outs in the ninth inning that cost his team the lead? Yeah, Capps sucked, especially the first 3 hitters where he was trying to overthrow everything (and his pitching line was thus charged with the hits and walks he gave up). But then he got outs. And McCann hit the ball hard all game, but he didn't hit that ball hard, and it absolutely should have been caught. McCann shouldn't have gotten a hit, Capps shouldn't have been charged with 2 additional earned runs, and Bay shouldn't even have been charged with an error, because losing a ball in the lights isn't really his mistake. But it's also most certainly not Capps' mistake. That's why I like the idea of a "team" error, or whatever you want to call it.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby tmlfan4ever » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:05 pm

I still think Bay can put together a productive season. The huge drop in BA in 2007 was more a H% (BA on balls in play) fluke, so I think he's a good bet to return to the .280 hitter that he is. Power-wise, it's together to explain. I think the injuries are going to hurt his production, but where he's being drafted, 20HR and 10SB would be enough if he hits in the middle of the lineup and gets some chances to knock runs in. Maybe 90 RBI and 75 RUNS? That wouldn't be too bad, but certainly a big step down from the "First Rounder" he was.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:09 pm

Looked like an error to me although I don't think you necessarily need a "team error" in order to get this call right. That was an error on Bay if I am scoring the game.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:10 pm

Amazinz wrote:Looked like an error to me although I don't think you necessarily need a "team error" in order to get this call right. That was an error on Bay if I am scoring the game.

I agree. Bay should've been charged with an Error.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby tmlfan4ever » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:11 pm

Amazinz wrote:Looked like an error to me although I don't think you necessarily need a "team error" in order to get this call right. That was an error on Bay if I am scoring the game.

Agreed. Capps did "enough" to get the pop-out. An outfielder should catch that.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:12 pm

Field wrote:He has said a few times that his knee isn't really any better than it was last year so I wouldn't expect him to return to 2006 form.

Could you please provide evidence of him saying this?

Regardless, I don't think it is too much to worry about. He didn't seem like he lost at the plate like he was last year. He wasn't swinging wildly like last year (his only K caught him looking) - he just hit over top of the ball each AB. That's why they were all grounders. Remember, this is the first week - Berkman, CLee, Howard, Soriano, Ortiz, and Teixeira also have had bad beginnings. I'll give him a little while.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers