Xavier Nady - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Xavier Nady

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Xavier Nady

Postby Super Manny » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:35 pm

For what it's worth (which is probably not much to many of you), ESPN's Matthew "The Talented Mr. Roto" Berry loves Nady this year...

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:21 am

j24jags wrote:I have not considered pickign him up, nor will I.

Ditto.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:32 am

He was pretty darn good last year in the first half....
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J.C.Fighter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:44 am

Yoda wrote:He was pretty darn good last year in the first half....

Would be interesting to see what kind of numbers he would of put up if he played more than 125 games..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mjg5250 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:03 am

Well if he continues to play at a hot pace for the next few games I will consider picking him up, I'll ride out the hot streak, if not then, he's left teamless.
mjg5250
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:32 am

Super Manny wrote:For what it's worth (which is probably not much to many of you), ESPN's Matthew "The Talented Mr. Roto" Berry loves Nady this year...

that's reason enough to stay away from nady. :-D
last year, he said kei igawa was as good as dice-K... :-P
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:57 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:He is always blocking someone?
Than the blocked ones should play better to earn the job!
This guy is a major league hitter, and deserved his place.

Pearce did play better when he got a chance this spring.
263AVG 4HR 10RBI

Nady managed
139AVG 1HR 3RBI

Also, the Pirates were actively shopping Nady, so they didn't necessarily think he "deserved his place." I believe they wanted him gone so they could bring up Pearce (who was the minor league player of the year last year).

I would understand if you said Nady deserved the RF job because of a proven track record (...of injuries, but that's an entirely different flaming paper bag), but to say Pearce should play better to earn the job...well, he did.

Finally, I know you wouldn't be insinuating that Nady should get the job just because he's a vet. That would just be ignorant, and you are anything but that. Believe me, I've seen your other posts... :-D

How many ABs Pearce had in the Majors?
68!
So when exactly did he play better than Nady?
In ST?
That doesnt mean anything.

Very rare that a prospect, even a top prospect delivers in the majors right away. For every Ryan Braun there is 10 Alex Gordon.

If the Pirates would been seriously thinkin that Pearce is that much better, they wouldve been added him to the 25 man roster, and did not offer arbitration to Nady in the first place. Or use them in a three way platoon with A LaRoche.

And if they were thinkin about trading him, well, other managers are not stupid, and well aware of the situation.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jcde7ago » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:09 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Super Manny wrote:For what it's worth (which is probably not much to many of you), ESPN's Matthew "The Talented Mr. Roto" Berry loves Nady this year...

that's reason enough to stay away from nady. :-D
last year, he said kei igawa was as good as dice-K... :-P

I remember him saying that, and i thought wow, you've gotta be kidding, although i did bump up Igawa a few spots in a couple drafts and regretted :-t

That said, if Nady can get 550+ AB's, he's probably more than capable of 20-25 homers, decent RBI's, decent avg. But IMO, i'd rather wait in most of my leagues, as it's still way too early in the season (Chris Shelton, anyone?) and there's other players/prospects to be had with higher potential upside than Nady. Besides, i didn't want to look like the unseasoned amateur and be the first to pluck Nady off of FA in my money/keeper/more-competitive leagues :-D
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:So when exactly did he play better than Nady?
In ST?

If it doesn't mean anything, then why was Pearce even given a chance to prove himself? I was simply responding to the fact that you said "they [in this case, Pearce] should play better." I showed you numbers that proved he did play better in his only shot and you tell me it doesn't mean anything... :-t

If the Pirates would been seriously thinkin that Pearce is that much better, they wouldve been added him to the 25 man roster, and did not offer arbitration to Nady in the first place. Or use them in a three way platoon with A LaRoche.

Not necessarily. By adding Pearce this year, but not giving him a full time spot, they start his arbitration clock earlier and at the same time give him fewer reps. It makes more sense to either trade Nady and start Pearce (which they tried to do), or keep Nady on board (as his contract is not a bad one) and let Pearce get full time reps in AAA. This brings me back to my original point that you can't seem to grasp: Pearce is being blocked by Nady.

And if they were thinkin about trading him, well, other managers are not stupid, and well aware of the situation

What situation? I have no idea what you're referring to, and I have a sneaking suspicion that neither do you... ;-7

Is Pearce better than Nady? No idea...it's pretty subjective at this point. Is Pearce blocked by Nady? The actions of the Buccos this offseason seem to point that way. Do I still hate Nady for no apparent reason? Oh yeah. :-S
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:So when exactly did he play better than Nady?
In ST?

If it doesn't mean anything, then why was Pearce even given a chance to prove himself? I was simply responding to the fact that you said "they [in this case, Pearce] should play better." I showed you numbers that proved he did play better in his only shot and you tell me it doesn't mean anything... :-t

Not necessarily. By adding Pearce this year, but not giving him a full time spot, they start his arbitration clock earlier and at the same time give him fewer reps. It makes more sense to either trade Nady and start Pearce (which they tried to do), or keep Nady on board (as his contract is not a bad one) and let Pearce get full time reps in AAA. This brings me back to my original point that you can't seem to grasp: Pearce is being blocked by Nady.

And if they were thinkin about trading him, well, other managers are not stupid, and well aware of the situation

What situation? I have no idea what you're referring to, and I have a sneaking suspicion that neither do you... ;-7

Is Pearce better than Nady? No idea...it's pretty subjective at this point. Is Pearce blocked by Nady? The actions of the Buccos this offseason seem to point that way. Do I still hate Nady for no apparent reason? Oh yeah. :-S

You just dont get it.
Theres nothing you can prove in ST but that you are bad. If you wanna prove you have to do it in regular season or playoffs. Therefor ST performance means nothing.

Why is Nady blocking Pearce? Is RF the only position he can play?
If that so, he must improve.

What situation? 8-o
The one you talkin about!
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers