100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help with a H2H question????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help with a H2H question????

Postby wingman3110 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:19 am

I was just sent this email today:

Nick,

Don't we need an 11th category for our league? Otherwise, isn't it possible that two teams tie each other at 5-5 during a week?

Honestly, I'm not sure if I like the way this is set up.

I could have 20 hits to another teams 3 during a week and they could have an ERA of 1.50 to my 1.51 and we get equal points.

Not trying to complain, but trying to make it worth while to have better hitters on a team, pitching, etc.

This a 10 team H2H league, but doesnt the tiebreaker have to deal with the ERA or something like that??
Last edited by wingman3110 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help with a H2H question????

Postby Torr » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Isn't 10 total categories the very common 5X5 standard that many leagues play under? I don't really see what his problem is. Who cares if it's a tie in a H2H league? You don't get 1 Win or 1 Loss per week in a H2H league, you get all of your categories. Over the course of a season, what's the difference between having a couple of 5-5 ties or having a 6-5 win and a 5-6 loss? For that matter, whose to say you have 11 categories and don't end up 5-5-1? The argument about how much you win by really is immaterial to the argument. How does having an extra category affect the margin of victory in an individual category? Apples and oranges...

If he is a guy that wants the margin of victory to matter he should be playing in a roto league, where your "win margin" (stats) are not translated into to a single category win. As for his argument about picking better batters or pitchers it is true that if you added a category so there was more batting or pitching categories that does affect how you build a team (I'm in a 7X5 batting to pitching league, which makes it slanted towards good batting). But there is no logical rule that says you HAVE to slant it either towards batting or pitching.

I guess I don't understand why it matters to him as ties don't matter much in the regular season, and in the playoffs ties are just another thing to think and strategize about. In my fantasy basketball league this week for example I was up 5-4 going into Sunday. He had me beat in points which was the first tie-breaker, so I knew going into Sunday that I couldn't let him tie me in a category. I had to adapt my strategy to compensate for his advantage.
Torr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Eagle Baseball » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 pm

as Torr said ties don't matter because both managers would just have a 5-5 or 4-4-2 etc record for the week and all that matters is your record when the playoffs start.

As for margin of victory well that is what roster management is all about. If I see I have a large lead in HR's but SB's are very close I will sit a HR guy and play a SB guy.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bstyle » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:08 pm

I agree tell the other owner to find a roto league. I have never heard of a 11 cat h2h league, leave it like it is.

Unless you set your league up to have a win or loss each week like Football. If that is the case I would change it so you get to keep all your wins so if you go 7-3 you get 7 wins and 3 losses. This would negate your margin problem a little. As a 6-5 where you get 1 win and 10-0 sweep that only counts for one win would be pretty stupid for baseball.
bstyle
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner