Official "What's Better Than Yahoo?" Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Official "What's Better Than Yahoo?" Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Official "What's Better Than Yahoo?" Thread

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:28 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:The amount that this is being blown out of proportion is hysterical.

Yeah I find it pretty entertaining. I've used the new version of stattracker since it's been out, and have paid for it happily every year. I play in multiple stat leagues, etc etc, and have zero complaints. ;-D

This guy agrees with those guys ;-D ...

This guy agrees with that guy who agrees with those guys.

Seriously, it's not a big deal. I remember the days when I had to click on the link for each active game and look at the box scores. Boy was that rough. I can only imagine having to scroll... makes me throw up in my mouth alittle. :-{
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:35 pm

Sportsline is better than Yahoo, old or new.

Things in Sportsline's favor....
* Added to the database? Jesus, we added minor-league players to our league this year and one guy drafted Matt Wieters (who was in Sportsline). One of their recent adds was Yancarlos Ortiz. Yah, I didn't know who he is, either.
* Customizable stats. Impossible to say how much value this adds. Being able to take every stat recorded and then mix, match, add, divide, whatever you want, to create the league measuring stick you want.... ridiculously good.
* Price. Yah, you heard me... price. It's the same price as, "free" Yahoo once everyone shells out $10 to add StatTracker. And this year, we're playing for free since we got a few referrals via the Cafe.
* Player info. So, so much better... you want to know a player's stats back to single A ball? Well, it's all their on their player page.
* League page. It looks like an ESPN/CNN page but you can put up your own stories, photos, story tickers, and polls. Yahoo pages look like MS-DOS by comparison.
* General flexibility: Keepers, price values, wildcard values, draft order, custom stat reports, etc.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby higherpie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:45 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:Yeah I find it pretty entertaining. I've used the new version of stattracker since it's been out, and have paid for it happily every year. I play in multiple stat leagues, etc etc, and have zero complaints. ;-D

This guy agrees with those guys ;-D ...

This guy agrees with that guy who agrees with those guys.

Seriously, it's not a big deal. I remember the days when I had to click on the link for each active game and look at the box scores. Boy was that rough. I can only imagine having to scroll... makes me throw up in my mouth alittle. :-{

Copy/paste of my post in another thread.

To all those who say "this isn't a big deal" or "this is being blown out of proportion" or "I like the Flash StatTracker just fine":

Look, we're all cruising a forum where a post about Nate McLouth got 26 comments in under 24 hours. Nate McLouth! Fantasy Baseball is a big deal to all of us. In fact, it's probably too big a deal to almost everyone with a user name here. I like it that way.

As such, even if you don't mind Flash StatTracker's glaring deficiencies, or even if you're not in a Yahoo league, you should be able to understand why it is important to the rest of us. Shouldn't all fantasy baseball fans be able to recognize that their fellow managers should be able to enjoy their fantasy seasons to the greatest extent possible? Or at least be able to enjoy it at the same level they've been able to enjoy it in previous seasons?

By not supporting Classic StatTracker and leaving us with no choice but to use a badly flawed Flash version (but still taking our money, of course), Yahoo has essentially taken away a big part of why we enjoy playing fantasy baseball. If you haven't experienced this loss of enjoyment, then you should consider yourself lucky. I have. This is a hobby I look forward to all winter, and yesterday was a giant disappointment for me.

So am I and some other people taking this too seriously? Of course! But so are the 96 people talking about Alexei Ramirez, and the 136 people discussing Holds. That probably includes you. So you should at least be able to empathize.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:48 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:This guy agrees with that guy who agrees with those guys.

I remember the Yahoo days when stattracker was free, then they started charging for that, but live stats displayed on your roster page were still free, but then they started charging for that. :-C
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:58 pm

Simply the fact that someone else plays fantasy baseball like I do doesn't cause me to empathize with them. I tend not to feel to sympathetic to those who feel a false sense of entitlement.

I talk about Nate McLouth because he deserves to be talked about. B-) Now if everyone's discussion of him was how he wears his socks wrong, such small details, I'm off the bandwagon. This discussion is about Nate McLouth's socks.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby higherpie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:11 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Simply the fact that someone else plays fantasy baseball like I do doesn't cause me to empathize with them. I tend not to feel to sympathetic to those who feel a false sense of entitlement.

I talk about Nate McLouth because he deserves to be talked about. B-) Now if everyone's discussion of him was how he wears his socks wrong, such small details, I'm off the bandwagon. This discussion is about Nate McLouth's socks.

Close. This is actually a discussion about Nate McLouth's shoes. See, he spent $125 on shoes that said one size on the box from the same shoe company he had bought shoes from many times before. Then when he opened the shoe box on Opening Day, he found the shoes he thought he was buying were discontinued without notice, and that his new shoes were two sizes too small. He can fit his feet in those shoes, but they're really uncomfortable and not worth the effort. He's pissed that he didn't realize all this would happen before Opening Day, 'cause he could have picked another shoe brand that would give him free shoes that fit well, even if they weren't his favorite.

Poor Nate. The man is entitled to some decently sized shoes for all that money he paid!
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:17 pm

higherpie et al. .... I think you've made all your points! Not sure what else needs to be said. We get what you're saying.

The general fact though is that Yahoo! isn't a democracy. They can do whatever they want and offer whatever product they want. You can pay or not pay. They don't sell classic stattracker. They sell the new one. They don't support the old one. Buy it or don't.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby higherpie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:18 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:higherpie et al. .... I think you've made all your points! Not sure what else needs to be said. We get what you're saying.

The general fact though is that Yahoo! isn't a democracy. They can do whatever they want and offer whatever product they want. You can pay or not pay. They don't sell classic stattracker. They sell the new one. They don't support the old one. Buy it or don't.

We agree there. Next year, I won't. Hence, the title and purpose of this thread.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:26 pm

Let me ask, were you a child of the '60s, or at least were your parents? To me, it seems that if the Cafe were a real cafe, you'd be on the corner demonstrating. I get a sense of a "fight the establishment" persona - from this thread and also your signature.

Very Sheehan-esque.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Let me ask, were you a child of the '60s, or at least were your parents? To me, it seems that if the Cafe were a real cafe, you'd be on the corner demonstrating. I get a sense of a "fight the establishment" persona - from this thread and also your signature.

Very Sheehan-esque.

lol he is a rebel without a cause
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers