Official "What's Better Than Yahoo?" Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Official "What's Better Than Yahoo?" Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Official "What's Better Than Yahoo?" Thread

Postby higherpie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:57 pm

This thread is a spin-off from the "Official Classic StatTracker Petition" thread: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=332634

I'm young, and I'm still an idealist, so I'm optimistic that Yahoo will come to its senses and either continue to offer a fully functional Classic StatTracker, or re-work the Flash StatTracker and make it fully functional for the first time in its long but not-very-illustrious life. The people. United. Will never be denied a decent fantasy stat tracking application.

However, I'm also entering my Age 27 season, so I also consider myself a grizzled veteran and a realist at heart. As such, I think there's a good chance that Yahoo will do with Flash StatTracker what it has done for the last 3 years: nothing.

If/When that happens, I'll become a fantasy free agent, and I'll take my formerly Yahoo Plus leagues with me. The question is: where do I take them to?

Who does a better job than Yahoo? Who provides widely customizable leagues with tons and tons of stats available? Who has a StatTracker-esque live stat application that works (and who fixes it when it doesn't?)? Who offers keeper league functionality? Who leads the league in avoiding glitches, lost data, and other annoyances? Who does all of this at a reasonable price?

Thanks for your advice. Hopefully I won't have to take any of it.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Official "What's Better Than Yahoo?" Thread

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:03 am

I like the "new" StatTracker.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:04 am

sportsline offers a very wide variety of stats. No clue what their stat tracker is like. Yahoo's stat tracker has been almost flawless for me(it occassionally reverts back to earlier innings in games for some reason) so we either run very different systems or you play in different types of leagues that cause issues that I haven't encountered.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby higherpie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:09 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I like the "new" StatTracker.

Really? Do you also like Barry Bonds and Pol Pot?

Seriously, though, it's not that Flash StatTracker is rotten to its core. It just needs to be adjusted a little. It needs to be bigger so you don't have to scroll (especially for leagues that use more than 5x5 stats), and it could use a few other minor visual adjustments that have been well-documented elsewhere.

The problem is people have been asking for these changes for 3 years, Yahoo hasn't made them, and now that Classic StatTracker isn't being supported, it's a deal-breaker.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:15 am

Don't go ESPN - ever. One season with them was one season too many for me.

I love Yahoo, I don't think I'd ever not have a league on there.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Jimmy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:15 am

I've tried two different providers this year besides Yahoo. Those two are CBS and ESPN.

I'm still only just learning but CBS interface is not easy to navigate. But the advantages it shows include built in free live stats and scoring. In essence you don't need a seperate app for stats because you see it on your main team page. The scores are real time but the display again is just awful. I'm guessing if you take the time to learn the interface and get used to the quirks it'll be ok. For now it's my least favorite of the three.

ESPN's interface is really nice. It has a web 2.0 feel about it. Big, bright, and rounded buttons, gradients, and the navigation is intuitive. You'll feel at home using it without ever having used it before. With that said, it still has no live stats or scoring that I see in the free version. I'm not sure about the paid version though. It's pretty easy to manage multiple teams as there's a drop down menu to the top right that will lists all your team and take you direct to the roster page, unlike in Yahoo where you'll have to click home first and then each team. The same goes for CBS where it's not easy to get to each team easily. It does have a drop down menu for it's leagues but like I mentioned it's two click to get to your team roster. You have to mouse over, wait for the drop down, and then mouse over across to the other side of the screen to select your team.
Ichiro? No...
Dunn? No...
Ichiro Dunn! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Adam Suzuki! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Double the fun!
Jimmy
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:33 am

higherpie wrote: re-work the Flash StatTracker and make it fully functional for the first time in its long but not-very-illustrious life.

Not to disagree, but that's a fairly large stretch. The "new" Stattracker worked originally and still works now. I stipulate that I play standard 5x5 roto leagues, and I know it's not perfect when it comes to leagues using tons of cats or odd cats, but that doesn't mean it isn't functional.

Anyway, if you're determined to leave Yahoo, I'd suggest Sportsline. Free live scoring, easy to use, large player pool (no waiting for free agents to be added), etc. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby higherpie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:44 am

Madison wrote:
higherpie wrote: re-work the Flash StatTracker and make it fully functional for the first time in its long but not-very-illustrious life.

Not to disagree, but that's a fairly large stretch. The "new" Stattracker worked originally and still works now. I stipulate that I play standard 5x5 roto leagues, and I know it's not perfect when it comes to leagues using tons of cats or odd cats, but that doesn't mean it isn't functional.

Anyway, if you're determined to leave Yahoo, I'd suggest Sportsline. Free live scoring, easy to use, large player pool (no waiting for free agents to be added), etc. ;-D

Okay, okay. Strike "fully functional" and insert "essentially useless". :-) If you use extra stats, larger rosters, and/or prefer to use the mouse-clicks as little as possible, that's what it is.

Thank you and Jimmy for your thoughtful advice on alternatives.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:46 am

higherpie wrote:
Madison wrote:

Okay, okay. Strike "fully functional" and insert "essentially useless". :-) If you use extra stats, larger rosters, and/or prefer to use the mouse-clicks as little as possible, that's what it is.

Thank you and Jimmy for your thoughtful advice on alternatives.

Oh, you mean "too lazy to scroll"? :-B

Then yeah, the "new" Stattracker isn't for you. O:-)

Sorry, had to say it. :-b Meant in good fun. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:33 am

Yeah, I don't mind a good scroll.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Next