I have some questions regarding my team, Thanks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

I have some questions regarding my team, Thanks

I have some questions regarding my team, Thanks

Postby WSU Tony » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:46 pm

Hey Guys. I'm a long term baseball fan but this is my first fantasy baseball season. I did some reading before the draft and thought I had a pretty good drafting strategy going in. Will you please let me know how I did in my first draft and give me any advice? Did I draft too young? I'm wondering the value of Betancourt vs another closer. Will he come in handy since I'll be needing some spot starters for my injured pitchers? Should I drop the injured SP"ers, or wait them out till april? I know of a few guys getting a shot at closing to start the year and am wondering if I should pick them up in place of Betancourt or an injured starter....If you see any "holes" in my lineup or anything i need pitching please make sure to let me know. I'm also curious to how the pitching works. How many guys can I start in a given day? Do all of my RP'ers pitch if I didn't directly place them on the DL or are there certain spots I need to put them in before a game starts to ensure they are elligible to play? Thanks for the help guys, I'm open to any and all advice I can get.

C: Bengie Molina
1b: Paul Konerko
2b: B.J. Upton
3b: Arasmis Ramirez
SS: Hanley Ramirez
OF: Eric Byrnes
OF: Corey Hart
OF: Gary Sheffield
Util: Matt Kemp
BN: Adam LaRoche
BN: Willy Taveras

SP: A.J. Burnett
SP: Oliver Perez
SP: Tim Hudson
SP: Ted Lilly
SP: John Smoltz
SP: John Lackey
RP: Matt Capps
RP: Jason Isringhausen
RP: Kerry Wood
RP: Rafael Betancourt
WSU Tony
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I have some questions regarding my team, Thanks

Postby ROC AllStars » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:18 pm

What kind of league do you play in? Points, Roto, or H2H?

IMO your roster is pretty strong, especially for your first draft. I don't think you're too young, most of your young guys have at least one solid year behind them (Upton, Hanley, and Hart). Kemp is an outstanding hitter and should put up good numbers for you.

The Bentancourt situation depends on what kind of league you play in. For example, the key relief statistic in my fantasy points league is SV's, so unless you expect the reliever to soon be a closer he is wasting a roster spot. In this situation, you would only want a setup man to backup a closer on your roster to be in a tedious position, like getting Marmol to backup Wood. But if you're in a H2H or Roto league, a dominant setup man will be useful for your WHIP and ERA, and will toss in a few K's as well, and Bentencourt will be a very valuable player. In your situation I actually think you would benefit from picking up Marmol if he's available, given Wood's injury history. Marmol will be beneficial in H2H and Roto leagues, and cheap insurance in a points league.

I rank your positions as following:
Very strong:
SS - Hanley is among the elite.
OF - especially if Sheff stays healthy. Kemp and Hart are up and comers.

Strong:
2B - Upton should put together a good year for you, and 2B is typically a thin position.
3B - I put Aramis here only because of his injury problems. And they're the crappy kind that makes him day to day, very annoying to deal with.
SP - Very solid front line in Lackey and Smoltz (if Lackey's injury isn't recurring). And Burnett, Hudson, and Lilly aren't bad at all as 3, 4, and 5

Weak:
1B - Konerko is a dinosaur. He will be OK, but his days among the 1B elite are over.
C - Don't worry too much about this one, almost every team is weak here. There just aren't too many decent C's out there.

Very Weak:
RP - Capps imploded last year. And Wood and Izzy are legitimate injury threats. This being said, this could turn out to be a very strong position for you, its just risky.

The amount of players you can start depends on your league. If players are on the DL and you have open DL spots on your roster, definitely move them over so you can pick up other guys in the meantime. I sometimes use these spots on prospects that I think may hit it big early, for example last year I grabbed Pence when he came up with a spot opened by injury.

I hope some of this helps. The best advice I could probably give is to troll around on the other Cafe forums. You'll find great information in the Injury/Player update forum, and the Buy Low/Sell High thread in the Draft/Trade forum is beneficial. Good luck!
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 37)

Postby WSU Tony » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm playing in a 10 team H2H league. Thanks for the review of my team, I hope I get others to give opinions. (On a side note I offered a trade of Betancourt for Marmol, hopefully the guy bites.)

Is this team strong for a 10 team league? Most leagues seem to be 12 teams which would make my team a bit weaker.....

I like my 1-5 but also have Perez for the next few weeks when Lackey is down. My league doesn't start till week 2 which is a huge advantage because it gives me 1 less week of Lackey on the DL....
WSU Tony
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ROC AllStars » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:41 pm

Post your roster in the Rate my Team forum, you should get at least a few reviews there. I would put your team as above average for a 10 team league without a problem. Good luck!
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby WSU Tony » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:01 pm

Yeah, I posted in that section too. Only 1 reply in the past few days. Is this forum always so quiet?
WSU Tony
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ROC AllStars » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Beginner's forum is pretty quiet. And it can be hard to get replies on the Rate my Team forum. Offer to help in your subject line and answer other people's posts if they have "WHIR" (will help in return) in their subject. Leave a link to your post and they should return the favor. Good luck!
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Beginner's Forum