ESPN's fantasy baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN's fantasy baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN's fantasy baseball

Postby Jimmy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:39 am

I've always used Yahoo to play my fantasy baseball. This year, I took more notice that there were other fantasy providers for baseball: CBS, ESPN, Foxsports/MSN, MLB.com?

Anyway as the topic implies I'm interested in peculiarities of ESPN's live draft for roto. If anyone's done it, you'll notice that at this moment all stats are retroactively backdated to the start of the season 03/25/08. I find this interesting and came up with an idea for a draft advantage but I'm not sure it would work. Is anyone familiar with this?

The plan is during the last rounds of the draft I find myself with a hard time deciding between multiple bench players and the odds are at least 2 of those bench players will be available on the waiver wire/free agent list later on. Would it be wise to draft the likes of Joe Rauch, and Hideki Okajima to get the retroactive stats of say 2 wins added to your team, and then after the draft drop those players for your original planned players? If you do that, do you lose the stats of Rauch and Okajima?

I've heard of leagues where if you trade or make a roster move, the old player's retro stats are removed and the new players stats retro stats are added. Is this one of those leagues or is this just a loophole I found on live drafts? 2 wins is quite a bit for this scarce stat that sacrificing the last two rounds temporarily for this advantage is very worth it if what I think is true.
Ichiro? No...
Dunn? No...
Ichiro Dunn! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Adam Suzuki! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Double the fun!
Jimmy
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ESPN's fantasy baseball

Postby deutschland » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:42 am

ESPN backdates stats according to the roster you drafted so you will get credit for stats accrued from your drafted players. whatever you do 2 days later when waivers clear is irrelevant. Be aware, however, that you only get credit for players drafted into your active roster. Any late picks that go to your bench will not accrue stats for your team. Any roster changes you make immediately after your draft will not alter this.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: ESPN's fantasy baseball

Postby Jimmy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:04 am

Ah that makes sense. So to take advantage of this, someone would have to start drafting the stats 5 rounds before the last pick and hope that 3 sleepers/bench that usually people don't think of go by... For example, Dana Eveland, Cueto, Blalock maybe? McLouth or Gomez or Velez? I may try this tomorrow. I'll have to scour tonight's lines for some really good stats I want to start the season off with :P But I think win's would be the best stat to acquire an early lead on.
Ichiro? No...
Dunn? No...
Ichiro Dunn! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Adam Suzuki! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Double the fun!
Jimmy
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers