Jeter or Matsui - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter or Matsui

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeter or Matsui

Postby eftda » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:03 pm

I can pick up Matsui in my yahoo league(I already have Jeter), but once i get him, should i trade Jeter or Matsui for a closer :-?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:09 pm

Can't say without seeing your roster.

You didn't even tell us who your other closers are.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby edb27 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:28 pm

Yeah more info would be good. I would never trade Jeter IMO. Not with the lineup he's in. I would deal little Matsui though.
edb27 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dude86 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:29 pm

Trade Jeter, if theres a yankee fan in your league you could probably get Gagne for Jeter.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:33 pm

eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Honus » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:44 pm

Looks to me like you are 10th in waiver priority. Not sure why you seem so certain that you can pick Kaz Matsui up. When I first looked at your draft, I almost figured "why bother doing anything, Huskers has this league won" (I mean, the guy had Lieberthal, Sweeney, Soriano, Chavez, Garciaparra, B. Giles, Pierre, Abreu, Cabrera, Lowell, Ensberg, Teixeira, Crawford, Reyes, Morris, Dotel, Myers, Webb, Isringhausen, Rhodes, etc.). Then I checked out the transactions, though, and saw that Huskers had dropped Cabrera, Ensberg, Pierre, Crawford and Rhodes (admittedly, he picked up a couple of SPs, which he needed, but nevertheless, he could have easily traded for better with what he dropped). So, maybe you do have a chance.

As for closers, Rhodes and Nathan are now on waivers, so pick 'em up if you can. Now that I look at the waiver wire, Chacon and Speier are both free agenta, so just pick them up now (drop Timlin and Cormier). There are sure to be some changes during spring training that will allow you the opportunity to pick up a couple of more.

I'd keep both Jeter and Matsui (if you can get him) for now. Maybe after you've had a month for things to shake out you'll be able to use one of them to upgrade 1B, 2B, 3B or the outfield (or replace Brown or Everett when they get hurt). Ensberg, Cabrera, Burnitz and Milton Bradley would be good starts.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Honus » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:46 pm

Oh yeah, and of course Pierre. He should probably be your top priority right now.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scoot » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:47 pm

I wouldn't get too excited about Matsui yet, he has done anything here. I think that you should keep Jeter and if Kaz ends up being good trade him.
Scoot
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers