Oriole Intro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Oriole Intro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oriole Intro

Postby UMTerp29 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:51 am

Let's get this out of the way right now, the O's stink. Period. But I'll give you run down of what's going on anyway:

Hargrove is tinkering with the idea of batting either Hairston or Mathews at leadoff. As of now, Hairston is in the lead thanks to his strong second half last year. If he can build on that, he could be a decent late round 2B who can swipe 25 bags with a .270 average. However, don't expect many runs or rbi's with this mediocre lineup.

Mathews could also be a late round sleeper with potential to steal 20 and hit 12-14 hr's. O's management seem committed to getting him at least 420 AB's and called off talks with Jose Cruz because they didn't feel he was a "significant upgrade."

Other Oriole regulars who can contribute to your fantasy squad:
Tony Batista (funky stance and all) - Some one has to drive in runs right?
Jay Gibbons - Could hit 30 hr's if his plate discipline improves, expected to bat 5th.
Melvin Mora - Multiple position eligibility

On the pitching side of things, there are 6 starters battling for 5 spots. Scotty Erickson is done for the season after undergoing surgery. And I don't expect hentgen to remain healthy all year either. So, when all is said and done, I expect the O's rotation to be:
Lopez
Daal
Ponson
Helling
Johnson

Lopez should again post solid #'s, although he may tire due to all the innings he pitched last year. Plus the O's won't score many runs. Daal could be a decent 5 or 6 starter providing a ERA slightly above 4 and a decent WHIP. Ponson is coming off his best season, and is still young enough to improve. I wouldn't draft him, but keep an eye on him.

And finally, the bullpen. Julio is a solid option at closer once the top 10-12 are gone. I wouldn't expect him to duplicate last year's sub 2 ERA, but it shouldn't be higher than 3.00. And he would hav had more saves last year if the O's didn't finish 4-32.

That's all for now, post any questions you may have. I'll update as a I see fit.
UMTerp29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GM Goodwrench 29 » Sat May 29, 2004 1:24 pm

?
GM Goodwrench 29
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baltimore Orioles