Your Mantra For Your Fantasy Teams This Year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your Mantra For Your Fantasy Teams This Year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Your Mantra For Your Fantasy Teams This Year

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Mine: Not making trades can be a good thing.

Like everyone on here I absolutely LOVE talking trades and making trades. Last year I traded myself into a corner in my 20 teamer, getting confused to whether I was competing now-now or building up with young talent. The resultant trades were absolutely awful, there were too many of them, and they pretty much glued me to the middle of the table . And then of course I'd trade to fix another trade :-P %-6 !+) !+) .

This year I plan to do way,way less trading unless I am completely deficient in a category. And I'm sticking to it.

Anyone else got one?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Your Mantra For Your Fantasy Teams This Year

Postby dobie76 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm a trade fanatic, too. Last year I played 2 leagues, and stuck to my roster in an auction league & finished 3rd. My other, 2 keeper league (standard yahoo 5 x 5) 10 teams I traded till my head was spinning, much like you described. Finshed 8th of 10. I resolve this year to trade ONLY to fill obvious weaknesses. This year I'm short on projected HR and AVG, so I will probably give it a couple weeks before getting too nervous. 162 games is a looong time!

Good Post!
"We've got half a pack of cigarette's, a full tank of gas, it's a hundred miles to Chicago, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses . . . Hit It."
[url]http://www.freewebs.com/giantsfan14/index.html[/url]
dobie76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Ah, my mantra...

This year, I'm gonna give my young guys a chance before I give up on them. Last year I had both Kinsler and Tulo early on in the season and I dropped them both before the All-Star Break. I convinced myself that I didn't believe the hype...the guy who I finished 2nd to in my division, ended up with both of them as starters when he clinched.

This year, my young guys include:

Butler
Gallardo
Parra
Volquez
Towles
Votto
Jones (BLT)

I have high hopes for Gallardo, Butler and Towles and I swear I will not give up on them too soon...I swear it, really, I do... :-o
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:42 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Mine: Not making trades can be a good thing.

Like everyone on here I absolutely LOVE talking trades and making trades. Last year I traded myself into a corner in my 20 teamer, getting confused to whether I was competing now-now or building up with young talent. The resultant trades were absolutely awful, there were too many of them, and they pretty much glued me to the middle of the table . And then of course I'd trade to fix another trade :-P %-6 !+) !+) .

This year I plan to do way,way less trading unless I am completely deficient in a category. And I'm sticking to it.

Anyone else got one?

I think if you're supremely confident that you're getting the best player value and expectation possible, then go for it. Usually preseason trading is tricky to handle, but that shouldn't deter you from aiming for fine value this early in the game.

I'm going to stay away from making unnecessary deals this year as well.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Chadgo5 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:06 pm

"stay healthy... please!"

My mantra every year
Chadgo5
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Win.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:33 pm

My mantra has already happened and was don't waste time on drafting decent veterans at the end of the draft because they could be useful backups. Those guys are far more likely to get cut in the first few weeks for a rising young stud than actually make a meaningful impact. Mike Mussina seems interesting as a flier because maybe he isn't nearly as bad as he was at the end of last year and in that offense, he's a potential 13-15 game winner if he keeps his spot. Instead of drafting any Mussina types, I resisted that urge and just filled out every flier pick with basically unproven guys who are much sexier picks like Edison Volquez.

I've never been an owner to make a ton of trades, usually make between 3-5 per team, so I guess I'd like to become more flexible there and be more open to trades valuing need over talent. I've never been a guy that says the team who gets the best player almost always wins the deal anyway so I'm on the right track.

2k. :-B
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby ggs » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Mine will be Go big or go home.

If someone's looking hot going to go with him. If I want a guy on another team I'll overpay to get him. This will be the summer of George!
ggs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 91)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Nuclear29 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Gunga galunga

nice thread btw.
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Mine this year is to finally give youth a fair chance. I guess I've been cut from the same mould as Dusty Baker for most of the fantasy "career," sticking with the proven veterans from whom I know what I can expect. We always play H2H and I've topped the regular season standings before, and I've been to the finals, but I have to collect the big prize and it's been about 8 years in our league now.

I have finally convinced myself to evolve and incorporate more youth into my lineup. The old geezers haven't gotten it done for me.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers