Jonathan Sanchez - SP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jonathan Sanchez - SP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jonathan Sanchez - SP

Postby sliders51 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:Sanchez is more of a strikeout pitcher than Ceuto is. Not to say that they don't both K a lot, but to me atoeast, it appears Sanchez relies as the strikeout as an out, while Ceuto has a more mature approach and just tries to get outs, racking up K's along the way. What this means is that Ceuto will be more adaptable. Imagine Jonathon Sanchez facing the Angels(NL and AL I know, but just theoretically). They hardly ever strike out. Especially with Torii Hunter, Figgins, Kensrick, and Vlad. Facing a team like that, Sanchez's BB's would way outnumber his K's, and he'd end up oing no lmore than 5 innings, pitch count wise. Ceuto on the other hand has the ability to control situations in a more mature veteran manner. His only problem is his High HR Rate, but that wil lderease with experience.

I'd expect Ceuto to be more like Gallardo, while Sanchez will be more like Kyle Kendrick was last year.

Kyle Kendrick? :-?

Comparing one of the best K/9 ratios with one of the worst in MLB?

This is like comparing Juan Pierre with Ryan Howard.
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri May 02, 2008 5:46 pm

sliders51 wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:Sanchez is more of a strikeout pitcher than Ceuto is. Not to say that they don't both K a lot, but to me atoeast, it appears Sanchez relies as the strikeout as an out, while Ceuto has a more mature approach and just tries to get outs, racking up K's along the way. What this means is that Ceuto will be more adaptable. Imagine Jonathon Sanchez facing the Angels(NL and AL I know, but just theoretically). They hardly ever strike out. Especially with Torii Hunter, Figgins, Kensrick, and Vlad. Facing a team like that, Sanchez's BB's would way outnumber his K's, and he'd end up oing no lmore than 5 innings, pitch count wise. Ceuto on the other hand has the ability to control situations in a more mature veteran manner. His only problem is his High HR Rate, but that wil lderease with experience.

I'd expect Ceuto to be more like Gallardo, while Sanchez will be more like Kyle Kendrick was last year.

I meant in terms to his situational predictableness, his outing being fairly predictable based on his opponent. Kendrick was great in deep leagues last year, ebcause based on his match ups, it was predictable when he'd suck and when he;'d rock it, and easy to react by that. Same's true with Sanchez. Ceuto on the otherhand will always be consistantly able to perform well.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby sliders51 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:
sliders51 wrote:

I meant in terms to his situational predictableness, his outing being fairly predictable based on his opponent. Kendrick was great in deep leagues last year, ebcause based on his match ups, it was predictable when he'd suck and when he;'d rock it, and easy to react by that. Same's true with Sanchez. Ceuto on the otherhand will always be consistantly able to perform well.

Ahhhhhhh, Ok I totally agree.
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hanram33 » Fri May 02, 2008 7:07 pm

Yoda wrote:
kidsafe wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'd rather have Cueto. Guys who throw strikes tend to have much more success.

Sanchez has great stuff and he was one of my sleeper pitchers but he will definitely hit some rough patches due to his control.

I'll take a guy who can fan 40 in 33.2IP...and when I say fan I mean swinging strikeout. That's how Sanchez gets his Ks, by making batters look absolutely foolish. Cueto is definitely not looking hot right now having given up at least 5ER three times in six games pitched. The Reds aren't any good either, so Sanchez being on the Giants isn't that much of a penalty when comparing the two.

Having seen his fastball in person, not only does it have a significant lateral movement, but it appears to rise as well. Lefties are going to see lots of lazy flyballs to left field and righties...well the high inside fastball is a nasty pitch to hit.

Not to mention Cueto has already hit his first rough patch and Sanchez's rough patch amounted to a tough inning from which he escaped relatively unscathed. So far it looks like the people who spent #1 waiver priority on Cueto are feeling a lot of buyer's remorse now that Scherzer has been called up and will definitely start. Now the wait for Kershaw begins. I have #4 waiver priority right now, and am hoping to sneak him in in June or whenever he gets called up.

Even with the bad start, Cueto's xFIP is at 3.48 and Sanchez who hasn't hit any bumbs yet is at 3.52.

All those walks Sanchez issues will catch up to him at some point. They should be very close by the end of the season.

Agreed. There is no QUESTION in mind Johnny Cueto is a better pitcher at this point than Sanchez, and I'm certain Cueto finishes with better numbers than Sanchez. Cueto's control is what really differentiates the two.
hanram33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby markj11 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:26 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:I meant in terms to his situational predictableness, his outing being fairly predictable based on his opponent. Kendrick was great in deep leagues last year, ebcause based on his match ups, it was predictable when he'd suck and when he;'d rock it, and easy to react by that. Same's true with Sanchez. Ceuto on the otherhand will always be consistantly able to perform well.

Will you let me know when to start him because yesterday sucked.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Wed May 07, 2008 12:24 pm

Home and away. He pitches good at home, pitches horribly on the road. Wish I had noticed that before yesterday!
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TBallgame » Wed May 07, 2008 12:47 pm

quitesanemax wrote:Home and away. He pitches good at home, pitches horribly on the road. Wish I had noticed that before yesterday!

So he is basically Ervin Santana of last year
"I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated." Al McGuire
TBallgame
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Wed May 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Really, he just isn't that good of a pitcher....he might get away with it on occasion because he can strike guys out but there is no way I start him on a regular basis unless I've already got a large lead or deficit in ERA and WHIP because he'll likely hurt you in those categories more times than not. At this point he's a left handed Daniel Cabrera, IMHO.

He's still young and has potential so he can get better but right now he's just not that good/consistent. If he finishes the year with a better ERA and WHIP than what he has right now I'd be suprised.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby quitesanemax » Wed May 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Yes, but if he continues to do good at home, and bad on the road, hes useful... at least in deeper leagues, or as a spot starter here and there.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon May 12, 2008 10:39 am

He was bad at home too.
Any new theory?
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers