Draft Prior #2 overall - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Prior #2 overall

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Prior #2 overall

Postby jpgretzky15 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:39 pm

I have the #2 pick in the draft. Assuming A-rod goes #1, I really want Prior. However, most people have been going with Pujols #3. If I can't get the #3 or 4 people to trade draft picks with me, should I still go with Prior at 2? I really want to get good pitching, and I think Prior would be an excellent start, as it is easier to find a bargain hitter than a bargain pitcher later in the draft.
Let's Go Yankees!
jpgretzky15
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Prior #2 overall

Postby Erboes » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:43 pm

jpgretzky15 wrote:I have the #2 pick in the draft. Assuming A-rod goes #1, I really want Prior. However, most people have been going with Pujols #3. If I can't get the #3 or 4 people to trade draft picks with me, should I still go with Prior at 2? I really want to get good pitching, and I think Prior would be an excellent start, as it is easier to find a bargain hitter than a bargain pitcher later in the draft.

Not meaning to cross threads, but go to Rotoguys.com, click on "Changing Speeds", and there's an article about this very topic.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:43 pm

Prior should not go at the #2 spot. A-Rod, then Pujols, then the next 4 are a toss-up.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mighty Monks » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:57 pm

Prior should not go at the #2 spot. A-Rod, then Pujols, then the next 4 are a toss-up

I agree,puljos is a stud and should go 2
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

prior

Postby DJUmperPSU » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:58 pm

i think prior is a top 10 pick, but not 2... but if you love him that much... its up to you.
DJUmperPSU
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jer19G » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:59 pm

well i guess this could be one of those situations that was discussed earlier about Pujols somehow lasting untill the 3rd.

Don't take Prior second. Go with Pujols.
Demon Days
Jer19G
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Honus » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:00 pm

Prior may be a great pitcher, but he is not worth the #2 spot in the draft. Pujols and Soriano are both better picks. If you'd like to stock up on some great pitching, Roy Halladay might make it back to you in the second round, Kerry Wood and Jason Schmidt will be there for the third, and Mike Mussina and Tim Hudson have a good chance of being around for you in the fourth round.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby boston matt » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:00 pm

Prior is VERY risky here at #2...the dropoff is much less from Pujols > 2nd round SP (pedro/schilling/wood) than from Prior > 2nd half hitter
[/color][/b
boston matt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mtarail » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:22 pm

i agree. as far as i'm concerned, you go arod-pujols-soriano, and then the 4th pick is a tossup.

I think the moral to this story is: don't fall in love with any players. Prior is a good choice anywhere between 4 and 10 in the draft. He's decent choice at 4 or 5 ahead of Vlad or Beltran, and a good choice between 6 and 10. But you have to be flexible in targeting players if you're gonna have a good draft.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Draft Prior #2 overall

Postby ferris182 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:41 pm

Erboes wrote:
jpgretzky15 wrote:I have the #2 pick in the draft. Assuming A-rod goes #1, I really want Prior. However, most people have been going with Pujols #3. If I can't get the #3 or 4 people to trade draft picks with me, should I still go with Prior at 2? I really want to get good pitching, and I think Prior would be an excellent start, as it is easier to find a bargain hitter than a bargain pitcher later in the draft.

Not meaning to cross threads, but go to Rotoguys.com, click on "Changing Speeds", and there's an article about this very topic.

Thats a good read, but I still can't put Prior higher than 3.
We'll see about next year.....

Go Cubbies!
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers