Matt Kemp (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Kemp (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kemps value if he platoons?

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Pierre is going to get his share of ABs whether you guys like it or not. To think otherwise is a huge mistake.

No one thinks he will not get his ABs. We just think it is a bad idea on the Dodgers part to give him those ABs at the expense of other players mentioned soley because they sunk a bunch of money into him.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:34 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
Pierre is going to get his share of ABs whether you guys like it or not. To think otherwise is a huge mistake.

No one thinks he will not get his ABs. We just think it is a bad idea on the Dodgers part to give him those ABs at the expense of other players mentioned soley because they sunk a bunch of money into him.

Well I am sorry but baseball is a business first.

I know that fact inconveniences us fantasy players from time to time but you had better get used to it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby clevername » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:47 pm

but the business of baseball is to win games. Nothing puts butts in the seats or people turning on their TV's more than teams winning games.

Ethier and Kemp give the Dodgers a better chance at winning over Pierre, no matter how much money they've sunk into him. If they refuse to play either of those two over Pierre only because they're paying him more money they aren't very good businessmen or baseball men.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:59 pm

clevername wrote:but the business of baseball is to win games. Nothing puts butts in the seats or people turning on their TV's more than teams winning games.

Ethier and Kemp give the Dodgers a better chance at winning over Pierre, no matter how much money they've sunk into him. If they refuse to play either of those two over Pierre only because they're paying him more money they aren't very good businessmen or baseball men.

True and I can't argue with that. But successful business men with power and ego will not admit their mistakes.

As I've been saying, Kemp, Ethier and Andruw gives them the best chance to win but they invested way too much money in Pierre to just not get anything out of him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Matt Kemp (Merged)

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:01 pm

"As I've been saying, Kemp, Ethier and Andruw gives them the best chance to win but they invested way too much money in Pierre to just not get anything out of him."

Tru dat. Also, if Pierre doesn't play, his trade value goes down. And it's not like Pierre is a terrrible player. He was a good leadoff man for years. He's been struggling, for sure, but it's not like he's 45 years old and can't hold a bat anymore.

What amazes me is why LA invested so much $$ in Pierre in the first place, knowing they had some young lions in their system a year or two away from making a real contribution in the majors. Sometimes ya gotta wonder who is running the show at these organizations. :-?
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bogey9906 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:What amazes me is why LA invested so much $$ in Pierre in the first place, knowing they had some young lions in their system a year or two away from making a real contribution in the majors. Sometimes ya gotta wonder who is running the show at these organizations. :-?

I think they've been pleasantly surprised by Ethier's play since they got him a few years ago in a trade just to get rid of Milton Bradley. They probably pegged Ethier as a 4th OF type at first. Also, with the lack of power recently, they HAD to add some pop to the lineup this offseason and Andruw ended up being the best choice, even though it led to a logjam in the OF.

I think the Pierre deal was ridiculous, but it's hard to project every young player's development accurately, especially with all of the good young players the Dodgers have had coming up the past few years. Hopefully they'll eat some of the salary and move Pierre before too long.
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:16 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:What amazes me is why LA invested so much $$ in Pierre in the first place, knowing they had some young lions in their system a year or two away from making a real contribution in the majors. Sometimes ya gotta wonder who is running the show at these organizations. :-?

Because management didn't want to "overpay" for Soriano, Carlos Lee, or A-Ram and instead overpaid for Pierre, thinking he was a relative bargain. Again, we needed a big bat, not necessarily another speedster. Colletti believing having a 1-2 of Furcal and Pierre made a good deal of sense for a National League ballclub, he was a homer for signing Pierre than receiving a backlash from the media that the Dodgers had their hands in their pockets the whole time instead of making a move.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Matt Kemp batting 8th tonight.

So far this year he has hit in every line-up spot except 1st or 4th. However, he has not had more than 5 games played or 20 AB's at any spot. All this switching around can't be good for either him or the Dodgers...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Noggy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:44 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Matt Kemp batting 8th tonight.

Meh, Torre's had MUCH better batters hit 8th before.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:09 am

rookies and cream wrote:Matt Kemp batting 8th tonight.

So far this year he has hit in every line-up spot except 1st or 4th. However, he has not had more than 5 games played or 20 AB's at any spot. All this switching around can't be good for either him or the Dodgers...

i bet you could say that for loney, ethier, martin, and jones as well....i dont know what torre is trying to do, but hes eventually going to run out of combinations and have to settle on something right?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers