Matt Kemp (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Kemp (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Kemp (Merged)

Postby bsblallstr » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:44 pm

I hear different reports from different sources. What are the dodgers planning on doing with Matt Kemp? Is he going to start, or platoon with Ethier? If the Dodgers are looking to add more power to their lineup, it would make sense taking out a guy who nevers hits homers in pierre, since they already have a legit leadoff hitter, and put in Ethier and Kemp, especially since Kemp has the potential to hit 30 HR's as soon as this year.

If you have good info, not from CBS or ESPN (I have already looked at them), but I mean from the LA times of something like that, it would be really helpful.
Last edited by Amazinz on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited to reflect merge.
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Kemp

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Torre has been pretty quiet about this.
I have seen Kemp sneaking up the order in some spring training box scores but I don't know whether they are seriously trying something or not.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Mighty Men 2008 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:01 pm

I have heard nothing publicly definitive on this.

But, it appears to me that Kemp will be playing fulltime. I think Torre does not want to say it publicly because of the $ paid to Pierre. Pierre has been awful in spring training, while Kemp yet again is producing. If anything, I think Pierre would split time with Ethier, if anyone. Kemp is way too talented to not play full time.
The Mighty Men 2008
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:04 pm

Nothing is set in stone. Kemp goes into a slump or makes a stupid mistake then I can see him easily riding the pine. Ethier's been even better than Kemp this ST which doesn't help either.

All Pierre needs to do is string together a few strong games to get right back in the mix. Kemp is a risky play IMO especially considering how early he was taken in most leagues.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chipper » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:37 pm

I'd say if you drafted Kemp, getting Ethier before a real decision is anounced would be a good idea. Between Kemp and Ethier, one of them will be starting everyday (if not both of them).
It should give you a .300+ hitter, very good power, and good speed (when Kemp is in).
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:57 pm

I still think Kemp has a firm hold of a starting gig (RF). Pierre and Ethier are more likely to battle it out for the LF job. What complicates things is Ethier's strong Spring, but that could work against him because Torre might want to play Ethier as a pinch hitter a few days each week, given that he's more likely a better situational hitter than Pierre and Kemp. Torre still values Juan Pierre's speed and will start him, but he's come to terms with Pierre possibly sitting out more times than he'd like, as Kemp is in a "put up or shut up" situation given that management didn't want to deal him and because of his pure offensive skill set matched with a great arm for RF. Ethier is more of a defensive asset than Pierre is with a stronger arm as well, even though Pierre can cover more ground.

However, the situation is volatile as it is given that ST revealed the Dodger OF to be deeper than thought with Kemp & Ethier's strong play, especially Ethier. If Kemp stays away from the silly mistakes and can produce to some degree, he'll find himself cemented in a more everyday role. Beyond this month and next, who knows what the picture will look like, of course.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Secret Avatar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:09 pm

I think if anyone will split time it will be Pierre/Ethier. I'm expecting 450+ at-bats for Kemp this year and some very good 5-tool numbers. Remember that he posted some pretty spectacular numbers on his call-up last year. He's the real deal. Whether he gets the playing time remains to be seen, but there's 290-25-25 potential here. For keeper leagues, the guy is 23 and will grow into additional power.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dc928 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:55 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I think if anyone will split time it will be Pierre/Ethier. I'm expecting 450+ at-bats for Kemp this year and some very good 5-tool numbers. Remember that he posted some pretty spectacular numbers on his call-up last year. He's the real deal. Whether he gets the playing time remains to be seen, but there's 290-25-25 potential here. For keeper leagues, the guy is 23 and will grow into additional power.

I agree with you, I think Kemp has the job all to himself, and I also think Ethier as well. I mean the Dodgers will be stupid not to play with both of them. They do need to trade Pierre tho. If they end out starting Pierre over Ethier is because they want to trade him.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:02 pm

I just don't know how Ethier can be benched for Pierre at this point. Ethier deserves to start.
Are the Dodgers really going to start the season with 2 leadoff hitters with no power?? 8-o :-° X-I
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jazzmanljg » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:19 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:I just don't know how Ethier can be benched for Pierre at this point. Ethier deserves to start.
Are the Dodgers really going to start the season with 2 leadoff hitters with no power?? 8-o :-° X-I

Are you refurring to Furcal? If so, I would argue that he has respectable power for a leadoff hitter. He already has 4 this spring (it would take Pierre several years to hit that many). I agree 100% that Pierre should get benched. Ethier and Kemp should get everyday at bats.
Thanks to soty for the great sig!
jazzmanljg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers