Family Prays Daughter to Death; Now Prays For Freedom - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Family Prays Daughter to Death; Now Prays For Freedom

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Family Prays Daughter to Death; Now Prays For Freedom

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:01 am

I thought this was your standard issue, crazy news story... and then I read the last sentence. I actually laughed when I read it, but it was sort of an uneasy laugh. If I'd lost my daughter to my faith, I don't know that I'd be strong enough to rely on it again for my freedom.
Charter.net wrote:WESTON, Wis. (AP) — Police are investigating an 11-year-old girl's death from an undiagnosed, treatable form of diabetes after her parents chose to pray for her rather than take her to a doctor.

An autopsy showed Madeline Neumann died Sunday of diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition that left too little insulin in her body, Everest Metro Police Chief Dan Vergin said.

She had probably been ill for about a month, suffering symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, excessive thirst, loss of appetite and weakness, the chief said Wednesday, noting that he expects to complete the investigation by Friday and forward the results to the district attorney.

The girl's mother, Leilani Neumann, said that she and her family believe in the Bible and that healing comes from God, but that they do not belong to an organized religion or faith, are not fanatics and have nothing against doctors.

Leilani Neumann said she and her husband are not worried about the investigation because "our lives are in God's hands. We know we did not do anything criminal. We know we did the best for our daughter we knew how to do."
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Family Prays Daughter to Death; Now Prays For Freedom

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:54 am

Have they read their bible? There isn't a single thing in the Bible that says not to use modern medicine. It makes me cringe every time I hear about people who do this to their children. :-t
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:06 pm

Ridiculous. :-t
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby beatdrum » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:44 pm

Something similar happened a couple of years ago and I discussed it with a friend of mine. I presented the following hypothetical...

Imagine that it's the future and everybody is frozen cryogenically at the time of their death. Also, some people previously frozen have been revived using the latest futuristic medical advances. However one family refuses to freeze their recently deceased son. When asked why they wouldn't have the process done, the family cites religous reasons. The family is arrested for not behaving in the best interest of their child.

Is this much different? I mean, the family went against conventional wisdom and trusted in their faith. A lot of people believe "when it's your time to go, it's your time to go; only God can control that".

By the way, I don't necessarily agree with one position or the other. I just thought it was an interesting way to look at it.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:16 pm

beatdrum wrote:Something similar happened a couple of years ago and I discussed it with a friend of mine. I presented the following hypothetical...

Imagine that it's the future and everybody is frozen cryogenically at the time of their death. Also, some people previously frozen have been revived using the latest futuristic medical advances. However one family refuses to freeze their recently deceased son. When asked why they wouldn't have the process done, the family cites religous reasons. The family is arrested for not behaving in the best interest of their child.

Is this much different? I mean, the family went against conventional wisdom and trusted in their faith. A lot of people believe "when it's your time to go, it's your time to go; only God can control that".

By the way, I don't necessarily agree with one position or the other. I just thought it was an interesting way to look at it.

time to go? a very treatable disease doesnt fall under that category for me. if the girl was in a deep coma and on life support, ok i see the viewpoint as valid, but to have such a simple and treatable disease and not treat it, does not sit well with me.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:58 am

beatdrum wrote:Something similar happened a couple of years ago and I discussed it with a friend of mine. I presented the following hypothetical...

What is this the 1200s?
If your kid is sick you MUST get it treated. It is your duty as a parent.
You can't site your belief in some book, or some other gibberish to not get them treated. If I insanely believed in Moby Dick and threw my kids into the mouth of a whale if they were sick, would that be any different or crazy sounding?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby beatdrum » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:17 am

AussieDodger wrote:What is this the 1200s?
You can't site your belief in some book, or some other gibberish to not get them treated. If I insanely believed in Moby Dick and threw my kids into the mouth of a whale if they were sick, would that be any different or crazy sounding?

What about blood transfusions? Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the Bible prohibits this. Are they included in those who "site their belief in some book, or some other gibberish"?
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:22 am

Snakes Gould wrote:

time to go? a very treatable disease doesnt fall under that category for me. if the girl was in a deep coma and on life support, ok i see the viewpoint as valid, but to have such a simple and treatable disease and not treat it, does not sit well with me.

I'm with you here.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:38 pm

beatdrum wrote:

What about blood transfusions? Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the Bible prohibits this. Are they included in those who "site their belief in some book, or some other gibberish"?

Absolutely. If it is life saving then yes.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:56 pm

beatdrum wrote:

im pretty sure if it was a life or death situation the jehovah's witness would get the blood transfusion to save their life. :-°

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk