Rolen and Crede both in the 10th round 8-o
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Post your crazy draft story!

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:25 pm

My first draft of the year, more with friends than huge fantasy guys but they mostly know baseball. I start off and take Hanley Ramirez with the third pick; fairly standard. I sit there, and I just watch. There are no real strange picks, except for the fact that no one is taking Holliday. Lo and behold, he comes back around in this 12 team league. At first I'm paranoid that there's something wrong with him, but a quick google search shows nothing, so I take him. Then I get Braun in the third round (since that's where I'd consider picking him, I don't consider that much of a steal). Too bad I screwed that draft up by taking Lackey and then watching him get hurt. Oh well, my offense is stacked so I can deal out of it.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:58 am

$25 spent on Kerry Wood in a 12 team roto league draft when only a few closers were off the board ($300 team payrolls).

That was crazy enough for me.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:41 am

How about in my first draft this year a guy took Kenji Johjima with the 6th pick in the first round.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WyldStallyn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:00 pm

i cant believe some of these stories. unfortunately i have nothing interesting to share
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:12 pm

You wanna hear a crazy draft story???
OK.

Rambling Stoner wrote:I don't know how to describe my drafting strategy other than to simply say what I thought which led to who I got.

First, I am using this in all my leagues but those leagues are primarily 12 team, H2H, 5 or 6 squared cat redraft leagues.

That said, I start with wanting to get two players, unless I pick first and take ARod. If I don't pick first, I take Utley if I can get him. My next pick then is Braun and then I take VMart if I can. For me, those first three picks are ideal. Then, I usually take next best position players up to round 7-9, unless some pitching god falls too far, like Papelbon or Oswalt did in a few of my leagues. I originally got Hamilton in round 7 but now find him going as early as round 3.

Anyway, I am employing a basic HR with high OBP guys first and then worry about pitching later. Usually, I can grab a Figgins and a Bourn for SBs, and someone like Morneau or Pena at 1B.

Sometimes though... I get stuck with drafting a bunch of 1Bs like Howard, Ortiz, Guillen (as a SS), Butler and Stairs, just cause I couldnt say no.

As for pitchers, my best SPs have names like Snell, Young, King Felix, Lester, Shields and at least one toronto SP too for good measure. My RPs mostly are guys forgotten like R. Soriano(if he gets to me), Splinter, err, I mean Wood, and Percival. I also like to grab Accardo and then Ryan late if I can especially in HLD leagues... since you can put Ryan on the DL for now and carry another player while using Accardo for SVs, and then when/if Ryan comes back, you got a HLD/SV dynamo in Accardo/Ryan while using a couple of late, usually bench player picks.

Anyway, as I look at my pitcher-studless lineups filled with semi-sleeper guys like Braun, Hamilton, Ankiel, Butler, Towles/Soto and Bourn... and with old guys like Sheffield, Giambi and Tejada and I can't help wonder if I am asking for all or nothing seasons?

As usual, time will tell.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:10 pm

AussieDodger wrote:You wanna hear a crazy draft story???
OK.

Rambling Stoner wrote:I don't know how to describe my drafting strategy other than to simply say what I thought which led to who I got.

First, I am using this in all my leagues but those leagues are primarily 12 team, H2H, 5 or 6 squared cat redraft leagues.

That said, I start with wanting to get two players, unless I pick first and take ARod. If I don't pick first, I take Utley if I can get him. My next pick then is Braun and then I take VMart if I can. For me, those first three picks are ideal. Then, I usually take next best position players up to round 7-9, unless some pitching god falls too far, like Papelbon or Oswalt did in a few of my leagues. I originally got Hamilton in round 7 but now find him going as early as round 3.

Anyway, I am employing a basic HR with high OBP guys first and then worry about pitching later. Usually, I can grab a Figgins and a Bourn for SBs, and someone like Morneau or Pena at 1B.

Sometimes though... I get stuck with drafting a bunch of 1Bs like Howard, Ortiz, Guillen (as a SS), Butler and Stairs, just cause I couldnt say no.

As for pitchers, my best SPs have names like Snell, Young, King Felix, Lester, Shields and at least one toronto SP too for good measure. My RPs mostly are guys forgotten like R. Soriano(if he gets to me), Splinter, err, I mean Wood, and Percival. I also like to grab Accardo and then Ryan late if I can especially in HLD leagues... since you can put Ryan on the DL for now and carry another player while using Accardo for SVs, and then when/if Ryan comes back, you got a HLD/SV dynamo in Accardo/Ryan while using a couple of late, usually bench player picks.

Anyway, as I look at my pitcher-studless lineups filled with semi-sleeper guys like Braun, Hamilton, Ankiel, Butler, Towles/Soto and Bourn... and with old guys like Sheffield, Giambi and Tejada and I can't help wonder if I am asking for all or nothing seasons?

As usual, time will tell.

this is the thread i read just before this one....freakin awesome. "Um...are you high?"
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers