Post your crazy draft story! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Post your crazy draft story!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Post your crazy draft story!

Postby TheGinner » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:40 pm

This guy in my work money leauge looks at rotoworld 24/7, always talking up fantasy baseball claiming he knows what he's doing.

This is how his draft ended up. I must say, I feel like he needs to do more homework. This is a yearly redraft (not keeper)

Maybe if it was a first year keeper leauge it would be a lil different, but its a freaking redraft league.

1. (1) Álex Rodríguez
2. (24) C.C. Sabathia
3. (25) Josh Beckett
4. (48) Troy Tulowitzki
5. (49) Howie Kendrick
6. (72) Chris Young (of)
7. (73) Delmon Young
8. (96) Brian McCann
9. (97) Jim Thome
10. (120) Jeremy Hermida
11. (121) Jacoby Ellsbury
12. (144) Clay Buchholz
13. (145) Stephen Drew
14. (168) Matt Capps
15. (169) Chad Cordero
16. (192) Adam Jones
17. (193) Hiroki Kuroda
18. (216) Joey Votto
19. (217) Lastings Milledge
20. (240) Ian Kennedy
21. (241) Daric Barton

Oh yea, he's already dropped half of his team to the WW
TheGinner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:11 pm

I dunno: that draft might not be too crazy. It could work out for him.

Although I have one guy in my league who obsesses over baseball, reads BP religiously, and he also just ended up drafting players 2-3 years too early. You think too much about, "upside" and not enough about, "production" ... this year he went into the draft swearing that he was going to change tactics and wouldn't draft anyone under 35.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tribefan08 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:52 pm

I started the original posting here. Somone commented on how atkins, markakis, etc were available in the 5th round. I think I put it in the original post, but in our league you may keep two players. Your keepers maybe not be either of your keepers from the year before.

So ideally you'd want to deal your keepers from the year before or hope that your 3/4th round picks from the year before are now your new keepers! So having said this some people in our league did not figure out that instead of sitting on ALEX RODRIGUEZ and kicking him back into the redraft (since they can't keep him because he was their keeper from the year before) they should trade him, especially if you aren't making a run at the playoffs? Might as well better your team for next year by making some deals! so in saying that some people had these keepers:

Francouer and brandon phillips

adrian gonzalez and brandon webb

CC sabathia and Mark Texieria

then guys like me and my buddy had

ryan braun/hanley

wright/holliday

so we finished very high in our league, so we now draft at the end this year, we do have better keepers A) because we're smarter and B) our teams were better so thats expected.... but the guys who generally had the lesser keepers drafted earlier and in return ended up with AROD, miggy, utley, etc this year.... next year all the big SS's will get kciked back in unless they are traded around and made into keepers..... and all of this is why guys like atkins/markakis were there inthe 5th! since some people wouldn't have what you'd consider keeper keepers but its the best they had, thats what they started with!

and i reaped the benefits of starting with hanley and braun, i think???? LOL
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheGinner » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:50 pm

tribefan08 wrote:I started the original posting here. Somone commented on how atkins, markakis, etc were available in the 5th round. I think I put it in the original post, but in our league you may keep two players. Your keepers maybe not be either of your keepers from the year before.

So ideally you'd want to deal your keepers from the year before or hope that your 3/4th round picks from the year before are now your new keepers! So having said this some people in our league did not figure out that instead of sitting on ALEX RODRIGUEZ and kicking him back into the redraft (since they can't keep him because he was their keeper from the year before) they should trade him, especially if you aren't making a run at the playoffs? Might as well better your team for next year by making some deals! so in saying that some people had these keepers:

ryan braun/hanley

wright/holliday

so we finished very high in our league, so we now draft at the end this year, we do have better keepers A) because we're smarter and B) our teams were better so thats expected.... but the guys who generally had the lesser keepers drafted earlier and in return ended up with AROD, miggy, utley, etc this year.... next year all the big SS's will get kciked back in unless they are traded around and made into keepers..... and all of this is why guys like atkins/markakis were there inthe 5th! since some people wouldn't have what you'd consider keeper keepers but its the best they had, thats what they started with!

I dont think that the C.C. + Teix is horrible...
TheGinner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:36 am

My idiot friend, who is actually a fairly knowledgeable baseball fan and has been playing fantasy for about 10 years, drafted Verlander, Beckett, Halladay and Liriano with his first 4 picks. He's always been inclined to draft pitchers but that was ridiculous.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RaginCajun77 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:00 am

Chone Figgens in the second round (#23 overall). :-D And no, this isn't a keeper league. Notable players still on the board...well pretty much everybody.
RaginCajun77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:15 am

RaginCajun77 wrote:Chone Figgens in the second round (#23 overall). :-D And no, this isn't a keeper league. Notable players still on the board...well pretty much everybody.

:-?
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby tribefan08 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:38 pm

TheGinner wrote:
tribefan08 wrote:I started the original posting here. Somone commented on how atkins, markakis, etc were available in the 5th round. I think I put it in the original post, but in our league you may keep two players. Your keepers maybe not be either of your keepers from the year before.

ryan braun/hanley

wright/holliday

I dont think that the C.C. + Teix is horrible...

not saying it was horrible but CC and TEX is not wright and holliday, or hanley and braun???? See what i am saying some guys started with two first rounders some started with a 2nd and 3rd roundish type player, doesn't mean they won't be first round by next year....
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:57 pm

Loney could break every hitting record and he would still be a moron for taking him well before anyone else would even consider it.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby abrage22 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Well last year a guy took matsuzaka in the first round :-D . im doing a draft right now and a guy is drafting as follows:

1 Rios
2 Halladay
3 Wells
4 Hill
5 McGowan
6 Thomas
7 BJ Ryan

well u get the point..... obviously a big jays fan
were 8 rounds throug the draft and one guy as all pitchers so far :-? :-? :-?
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers