Post your crazy draft story! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Post your crazy draft story!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Post your crazy draft story!

Postby tribefan08 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:22 pm

I was just sitting on the couch thinking about my draft from last saturday morning.... I've been prepping since mid-december and the day finally came... It's a H2H league, 12 teams, 2 keepers....$110 buy-in....

The one pick that totally blows my mind is one guy in our league "scary larry", takes JAMES LONEY in the 5th round! I about lost it! I actually was targetting LONEY, but not til at least the 10th round! He took Loney before atkins, aramis, markakis, pence, EVERYONE pretty much! Thank god there's always a guy like "scary larry" in leagues to help people out who know what to do! Maybe by years end I'll be wrong and Loney will be a TOP 50 guy and Larry can laugh at me!

i doubt it tho. Post your best draft selection! Only in your serious leagues not MOCKS because we all know half of the picks in those are a joke.... and remember this was a $110 league, WOW
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Post your crazy draft story!

Postby Vladiator » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:59 pm

A guy in my league (12 team H2H) couldn't get into the draft for some reason, so he adjusted his auto pick order and took V-Mart at #12 and Martin at #13, thereby rendering it a complete cluster#*@%. He was the commish last year.

Also, someone took BOBBY SEAY in the 5th round of that same draft.

My first 3 picks? #2 Hanley, #23 Braun, #26 Peavy.
Vladiator
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Worst this year, Geovany Soto in the fourth. Cubs fan.

Then two other Cubs fans start complaining because now they can't draft him, like it was a steal.

12-team league, private -- we all know each other, but I am not sure most of these guys fit the 'serious' tag. I will be royally embarrassed to not be top 3 in this one.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wynams » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:17 am

2nd year Fantasy Auctioneer keeper Auction ...

all owners know to test system, we have a league mock auction (that locked up on Fantasy Auctioneer's end)

I plug in our keepers (I am the commissioner) ... in doing so, realize I cannot chose positions (neither can the owners). As a result, one of the owners starts the auction with a reserve already (odd).

We all get in the auction 15 minutes early ... everyone responds to roll call.

20 minutes into the auction, one of our owners says "hello, this is fantasy auctioneer support, user <x> has been locked out" "I am going to have him log in now"

Our owner rejoins us, says he didn't get to bid on anyone ... complete rollback

Auction proceeds, many clients crashing/freezing/locking ... pauses and rollbacks galore

In its 5th hour, we finally get to the snake draft ... where the little oddity (owner with a reserve already) locks up the auction.

I email support that we are stuck, they offer suggestions, none work.

We just moments ago finished our 2nd year draft ... 127 hours! Thanks to the fine software at FantasyAuctioneer.com ...

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?s=5a762732c4cee4f6534ad185e4de277c&showtopic=339721&st=0&p=7278126&#entry7278126

Read it if you would like. It is fantasy football, but still using the FA software. George (the owner) chimes in on that thread

Another link ... another baseball disaster:
http://fantasyhurler.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -ever.html

If Fantasy Auctioneer works for you, you just haven't used it enough yet. It is the most hit or miss software I have ever encountered.
wynams
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:28 am

Not a serious league but I just found it hilarious when in my friends league (which uncharacteristically was not marred by crazy picks) a guy panicked and took Ivan rodriguez in the 6th round.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ayebatter » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:41 am

Vladiator wrote:A guy in my league (12 team H2H) couldn't get into the draft for some reason, so he adjusted his auto pick order and took V-Mart at #12 and Martin at #13, thereby rendering it a complete cluster#*@%. He was the commish last year.

Great league you have there, Braun #23 8-o , even Peavy at #26 :*) is questionable.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1363)

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:08 am

One league I'm in for fun: A guy took Hoffman and Wagner the first two rounds. Nobody else was drafting closers, Papelbon, Putz, KRod all went many rounds later. The rest of the draft was chalk for him (although he did go after older vets) except those two picks, and he ended up with an okay team except it's lacking star players. Very strange.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Vladiator » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:09 am

ayebatter wrote:
Vladiator wrote:A guy in my league (12 team H2H) couldn't get into the draft for some reason, so he adjusted his auto pick order and took V-Mart at #12 and Martin at #13, thereby rendering it a complete cluster#*@%. He was the commish last year.

Great league you have there, Braun #23 8-o , even Peavy at #26 :*) is questionable.

I really don't know what to say. A core group of participants (including myself) spent months trying to recruit solid competition, and this is how our draft day unfolded. All were invites. :-/

Worst picks: (1, 12) Victor Martinez, (2, 13) Russell Martin, (2, 20) Derek Jeter, (5, 55) BOBBY FREAKIN' SEAY, (5, 56) Jhonny Peralta, (5, 58) Scott Rolen, (10, 120) Ryan Theriot, (12, 135) Randy Johnson, (12, 144) Greg Maddux, (17, 198) Chris Ray (18, 207) Jamie Moyer.
Vladiator
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wake » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:27 am

wynams wrote:2nd year Fantasy Auctioneer keeper Auction ...

all owners know to test system, we have a league mock auction (that locked up on Fantasy Auctioneer's end)

I plug in our keepers (I am the commissioner) ... in doing so, realize I cannot chose positions (neither can the owners). As a result, one of the owners starts the auction with a reserve already (odd).

We all get in the auction 15 minutes early ... everyone responds to roll call.

20 minutes into the auction, one of our owners says "hello, this is fantasy auctioneer support, user <x> has been locked out" "I am going to have him log in now"

Our owner rejoins us, says he didn't get to bid on anyone ... complete rollback

Auction proceeds, many clients crashing/freezing/locking ... pauses and rollbacks galore

In its 5th hour, we finally get to the snake draft ... where the little oddity (owner with a reserve already) locks up the auction.

I email support that we are stuck, they offer suggestions, none work.

We just moments ago finished our 2nd year draft ... 127 hours! Thanks to the fine software at FantasyAuctioneer.com ...

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?s=5a762732c4cee4f6534ad185e4de277c&showtopic=339721&st=0&p=7278126&#entry7278126

Read it if you would like. It is fantasy football, but still using the FA software. George (the owner) chimes in on that thread

Another link ... another baseball disaster:
http://fantasyhurler.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -ever.html

If Fantasy Auctioneer works for you, you just haven't used it enough yet. It is the most hit or miss software I have ever encountered.

I've had enough problems with Fantasy Auctioneer that I won't use it any more. The first year we used it they accidently erased all the keeper/salary information we had put in before the auction. Then after we started the auction it would occasionally sell a player immedately without allowing other owners to bid. The second year using it the auction wouldn't start and we had to wait 40 minutes until someone could reset it for us.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:22 am

wake wrote:I've had enough problems with Fantasy Auctioneer that I won't use it any more. The first year we used it they accidently erased all the keeper/salary information we had put in before the auction. Then after we started the auction it would occasionally sell a player immedately without allowing other owners to bid. The second year using it the auction wouldn't start and we had to wait 40 minutes until someone could reset it for us.

Weird: I've used it probably six times over the past 2 years and never had a problem. As far as me and my friends are concerned, it's the best thing since white rice.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers