Can Kurt Suzuki be a top 15 catcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can Kurt Suzuki be a top 15 catcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can Kurt Suzuki be a top 15 catcher?

Postby pat189 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:11 pm

He showed some good power last year, 7 HR's in 213 AB's...also had 39 RBI, but was that power a fluke?

Spread those numbers throughout a full season and he would be pretty valuable..

Thoughts?

Also, my league counts OBP..and he is a guy that can take walks and can post a better OBP than some catchers.
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can Kurt Suzuki be a top 15 catcher?

Postby Dan Charette » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:23 pm

I saw most of the first game and all of the second game. Suzuki looked good at the plate. He has a nice compact swing. He drove the ball well a couple times. He even stole a base. I think he could be a top 15 catcher.
And I think he could hit 15 or so homeruns.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:44 pm

He could certainly be a top 15 catcher at the end of the year, but that isn't saying much. If I owned him and he hit 15HR for the year, I would be very happy with that, but I wouldn't expect much more. Sometimes I think it's more important for a catcher to just post a decent AVG than hit 15HR and bat .230. He's one of those guys that I wouldn't hesitate in dropping for a hotter catcher on the Waiver Wire.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

Postby Super Manny » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:17 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:He could certainly be a top 15 catcher at the end of the year, but that isn't saying much. If I owned him and he hit 15HR for the year, I would be very happy with that, but I wouldn't expect much more. Sometimes I think it's more important for a catcher to just post a decent AVG than hit 15HR and bat .230. He's one of those guys that I wouldn't hesitate in dropping for a hotter catcher on the Waiver Wire.

He's looking at you, David Ross. :-D
Last edited by Super Manny on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby NZ Eff » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:18 pm

Yeah in most leagues the 15th ranked catcher is on the waiver wire.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:09 am

maybe he plays in a 20 team league? or a 2 catcher league?

everyone's picking up suzuki after his SB in japan. he's not going to have many more, maybe 0 more since oakland doesn't run.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:00 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:maybe he plays in a 20 team league? or a 2 catcher league?

everyone's picking up suzuki after his SB in japan. he's not going to have many more, maybe 0 more since oakland doesn't run.

NZ Eff, NZF, Enn Zee Eff, or whichever name he's using today, doesn't see past standard 12-team Yahoo! Redraft settings.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:42 am

Yes he can be a top 15 C. Anyone but the big 5 could be a top 5 C which is why I don't generally don't bother drafting one until the end of a 1 C league draft in a roto league, I just use the FA list as my C and play matchups against poor pitchers to maximize my 162 games. In a 2 C league Suzuki might be worth a #1 C slot but he is riskier than a lot of other guys, I like him more as a #2.

I actually had Suzuki as my starting C for the japan games, got 2 of my 162 games done for the position already and he was as productive as Martin would have been those 2 games! I dumped him after the 2nd one since he isn't playing the next day. My goal is to get 162 games out of my C slot as fast as possible so I have an extra roster spot once I use them up.

Obviously this doesn't work as well in a H2H league.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:43 am

Ender wrote:I actually had Suzuki as my starting C for the japan games, got 2 of my 162 games done for the position already and he was as productive as Martin would have been those 2 games! I dumped him after the 2nd one since he isn't playing the next day. My goal is to get 162 games out of my C slot as fast as possible so I have an extra roster spot once I use them up.

That's a pretty interesting strategy. So you just rotate the FA catchers so that you get 162 games ASAP and be done with the position?

Have you had good experiences with it in the past?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby markj11 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:47 am

Ender wrote:I actually had Suzuki as my starting C for the japan games, got 2 of my 162 games done for the position already and he was as productive as Martin would have been those 2 games! I dumped him after the 2nd one since he isn't playing the next day. My goal is to get 162 games out of my C slot as fast as possible so I have an extra roster spot once I use them up.

Why wasn't this mentioned before those games. I would like to hear more about this.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers