Johnny Cueto and Alexei Ramirez Coming to Yahoo! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johnny Cueto and Alexei Ramirez Coming to Yahoo!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Johnny Cueto and Alexei Ramirez Coming to Yahoo!

Postby Super Manny » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:21 pm

Excerpts from today's "Bringin the Noise" column, written by Yahoo Sports' Brad Evans...

Johnny Cueto wrote:El Toro de Bebe (the Baby Bull) has captivated the minds of fantasy owners, and Dusty Baker, with an electrifying spring. Cool as a cucumber, the 22-year-old Dominican dandy aggressively attacks hitters with the savvy of a 10-year vet. Equipped with a deadly arsenal, which includes a hard-biting, mid-80s slider and plus curve, Cueto's most lethal pitch is his blazing 93-94 mph fastball that occasionally smokes the gun at 97 mph. In 161.1 IP between High-A and Triple-A last season, he amassed an eye-popping 9.49 K/9, 3.07 ERA and 1.12 WHIP. Slotted into the No. 3 spot in the Reds rotation, the 5-foot-10, 190-pound hurler has the stuff and bravado to be an effective back-of-the-rotation starter in 12-team mixed leagues. However, it's imperative to keep expectations realistic. At times he'll appear dominant, but on other occasions, as seen in his 0.2 IP, 5 ER, 5 BBs implosion versus Tampa on Mar. 23, his polish will vanish. Given Cueto's callowness, unfriendly home surroundings and Dusty's destructive history, expect a finishing 2008 line around 160 IP, 4.12 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 149 Ks, 9 Ws. Expect Cueto to hit Y! waivers possibly as early as next week. However, unless you're in an NL-only keeper league, don't spend your top waiver priority. Honestly, Edison Volquez could be the brightest youngster in the Cincy rotation this season.

Alexei Ramirez wrote:Ramirez, one of the more mysterious players this spring, has shed his cloak of obscurity and emerged a viable fantasy prospect. Expected to be added to Y! free agent pools sometime next week, Ramirez is a fantasy Swiss Army knife who will likely be eligible at three positions (2B, SS and OF) at some point this season. Scouts have raved about the Cuban defector's smooth, line-drive stroke, superb contact rates and above-average power. In 521 Cuban League games from 2001-2007, Ramirez laced a .334 BA, totaled 73 homers and drove in 328 runners. An intelligent player who has a natural grasp for the nuances of the game, Ramirez is expected to platoon with Pablo Ozuna and Juan Uribe at second and be a temporary fill in for Jerry Owens, who is on the 15-day DL with a groin injury, in center. During the first half of April, consider Ramirez a respectable middle infielder/utility player in Grand Canyon-deep mixed formats. Although he's showcased more of a prosthetic hook than a glove at times at second, his offensive contributions will likely earn him at least a semi-regular role by June. For now, view the 26-year-old as a more versatile and faster version of Freddy Sanchez. With 350 at-bats expect an end season line around: .295 BA, 12 HRs, 59 RBIs, 66 Rs and 8 SBs.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/mlb/new ... oise032708

Keep a close eye on those waiver wires beginning next Monday! ;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny Cueto and Alexei Ramirez Coming to Yahoo!

Postby j24jags » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up I'll be all over Cueto ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chipper » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:40 pm

?

Well of course they're coming, the season is about to start. But then there will be a waiting period as they clear waivers, so there's really no rush to make sure you're the first one to see them there (unless your league does not have waivers).
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:43 pm

I think we should post more about Cueto. There should be at least 3 posts a day.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:43 pm

I just wish I was able to nab atleast one of these two guys before anybody had them on their radar... :-t !+)
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:52 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:I just wish I was able to nab atleast one of these two guys before anybody had them on their radar... :-t !+)

Same. Sad how Longoria, Headley and Rasmus are there but these two are not!It would be nice if they added Kershaw too, just for good measure.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tigers1223 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:59 pm

agree with the two above posts. I said in another thread that the cafe gives me a major advantage over the others in my league. However, yahoo destroys it by not making these guys available until everyone knows about them. Annoying
Tigers1223
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby NZ Eff » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:39 pm

:-? I just can't work out why people are bending over backwards to burn a waiver wire priority by picking up a guy who will put up 4th SP numbers and a utility guy who won't even be a fulltime player.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:55 pm

NZ Eff wrote::-? I just can't work out why people are bending over backwards to burn a waiver wire priority by picking up a guy who will put up 4th SP numbers and a utility guy who won't even be a fulltime player.

You once again refuse to look outside the realm of 12-team Redraft leagues.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby NZ Eff » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:05 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
NZ Eff wrote::-? I just can't work out why people are bending over backwards to burn a waiver wire priority by picking up a guy who will put up 4th SP numbers and a utility guy who won't even be a fulltime player.

You once again refuse to look outside the realm of 12-team Redraft leagues.

Sure in deep leagues yes but 9 out of 10 guys asking these questions are in standard Yahoo leagues. Unless pointed out otherwise I always make this assumption.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers