Plasma vs LCD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Plasma vs LCD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Plasma vs LCD

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:39 pm

I thought until this morning, that Plasma's had a shorter lifespan and image burn was a problem.

After reading a few articles this morning, it appears as though that was the case a year ago, but not so much any more. The articles I'm reading are basically stating that LCD is better on consumption, and plasma is better for moving pictures (both a toss up for static pictures), with every other aspect very comparable.

Which do you have and which do you prefer? Prices here are such that plasma is now lower than the same sized LCD.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Plasma vs LCD

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:49 pm

I have heard that plasma TVs and monitors are already being phased out by the companies that build them. From what I have heard and read, LCD technology has surpassed plasma- that's probably why plasmas are getting cheaper.

In case anyone is curious about the difference, LCD displays use liquid crystals stimulated by electronic charges to produce the different colors. Plasma displays use gas in the place of the crystals.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby slomo007 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:24 pm

Here's my opinion:

Better picture for normal rooms - plasma, by a pretty wide margin imo
Better picture in a sun room (ie, a very bright room) - lcd
More energy efficient - lcd
Longer life span - probably lcd but honestly it won't matter, they'll all be outdated before they die

You're right, burn in is no longer an issue for plasmas.

I have a plasma and if I were in the market for a new tv I would definitely again go with a plasma.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:19 pm

I have the 42" Sharp Aquos LCD and I wouldn't trade it for any size Plasma!! Not sure about other brands but the Aquos LCD is amazing!!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ayebatter » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:00 am

I have a 42" Panasonic 1080p plasma, and love it. Panasonic is the only CO. that makes a 1080p as small as 42".
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1374)

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:54 pm

It was already touched on but Plasmas will glare if you have windows in the tv room....so....if your tv will be downstairs or where there are no windows I would go with plasma....otherwise LCD. I've got an LCD and love it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 am

J35J wrote:It was already touched on but Plasmas will glare if you have windows in the tv room

That's not necessarily true. I have a plasma LG with their ClearFilter technology on it. It's a panel between you and the actual screen that diffuses glare. I have mine set up in my vaulted great room that faces the sunniest side of the house. I have never had glare issues with it. It's even next to a window.

Two things no one's mentioned about Plasmas that I mentioned to you privately, Ryn:

Even a basic plasma will have a significantly better contrast ratio than the top end LCDs.
Plasmas put off a ton of heat. In a small room, you will notice the difference.

In the end, I'd say the best thing you can do when picking out a set is to get as many inputs as possible - and make sure one is a computer monitor hookup. Big plus there.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 am

That was one thing that I was going to post about - the heat. I've got a new Aquos LCD and my dad has a plasma both in HD. I can't tell any difference. For some reason football looks a little better on my Dad's tv but the one big difference is the heat that the plasma gives off. You walk in front of it and you can feel the heat. For some reason plasmas seem more delicate to me, but I might be completely wrong on that.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:11 am

StlSluggers wrote:
J35J wrote:It was already touched on but Plasmas will glare if you have windows in the tv room

That's not necessarily true. I have a plasma LG with their ClearFilter technology on it. It's a panel between you and the actual screen that diffuses glare. I have mine set up in my vaulted great room that faces the sunniest side of the house. I have never had glare issues with it. It's even next to a window.

Two things no one's mentioned about Plasmas that I mentioned to you privately, Ryn:

Even a basic plasma will have a significantly better contrast ratio than the top end LCDs.
Plasmas put off a ton of heat. In a small room, you will notice the difference.

In the end, I'd say the best thing you can do when picking out a set is to get as many inputs as possible - and make sure one is a computer monitor hookup. Big plus there.

;-D

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that ClearFilter technology. Thanks for the heads up on that. Doesn't really seem to be a big deal which way you go.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Return to General Talk