Thank You FBC - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Thank You FBC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thank You FBC

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:53 pm

I noticed that I got to 9,000 posts today, so I started looking back at some older posts of mine. I've been around here for nearly 5 years and have really gained a wealth of knowledge from you guys. The effect that this place has had on me really hit me today while looking back at some of my older posts. I'm pretty amazed at how different my view of this great game is now compared to then. Granted, I was fairly young when I made some of these ignorant statements (I'm only 20 now), but it was only just a few years ago.

Thought I'd dig a few of them up for some laughs...these gems are only from 1 thread...

jeter is the captain. he has done more for that team that probably arod ever will. after all he has done you cannot strip him of his position and give it to a newcomer. i dread the day when arod says he doesn't feel comfortable at short and steinbrenner wants joe to make a switch.

if it came right down to it i wouldnt trade jeter straight up for anybody in the game because of what he does when it really matters, as said before, stuff that doesn't show up on a statsheet.

if you have watched jeter throughout his career you'd know his ability and acheivements cannot be summarized in one series, nor on a statsheet. maybe its too hard for you to understand but jeter deserves the spot much more than arod regardless of whether arod is a better fielder....

Jeter has had more clutch moments than anyone. I can't even remember alot of them because he's done it his whole career. There's been many times where he steps up and gets that key hit. Nomar may have that ability but he hasn't shown it on the level Jeter has. Nobody in baseball has shown it on the level Jeter has for the amount of times Jeter has.

Maybe because your not Yankee fans you don't belive in clutch. Maybe us Yankee fans are the only ones who believe because WE are the team that always arises in the most unlikely times. There has been a surplus of moments over the past decade in which the Yankees seemed down and out but somehow they come back fighting. Maybe THAT is why we believe. Maybe your teams do, maybe not. But I know nobody has done it like the Yankees have. I don't care what you call it, clutch, ora, whatever. The Yankees always find a way to come back when you least expect it. That is why we believe and you don't. So don't jump all over us because there is no factual proof. There is no denying the Yankees have shocked us all, especially over the last decade. If you deny that then you just don't know what your talking about.

I debated with myself whether or not I should resurrect some of this stuff. It really hurts to read it. Yet after just a little exposure to the Cafe...

So, in order to be a Yankee fan, I must kiss Derek Jeter's a**? Jeter is one of my favorite players. As I said before, A-Rod will never touch Jeter in my book (in terms of my favorite players, A-Rod is obviously the better player). That doesn't give me the right to spew lies about Jeter, making him better than he is, and making A-Rod worse than he is.

Jeter is a winner? How? How is a player a winner? Because they win a World Series? In that case, Luis Sojo is a winner. So is Mariano Duncan. Ooh, let's not forget Clay Bellinger. Let me ask you a question...if the Kansas City Royals had drafted Jeter, would he still be a winner? If the Yankees had drafted A-Rod, would he be a winner? Ted Williams, Barry Bonds and Don Mattingly never won World Series. Aren't they in the same boat as A-Rod then? All of them...LOSERS!! ;-7

Yankee fans don't boo Jeter because they are obsessed with Jeter. They truly believe that Jeter is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that he can do no wrong. He's captain clutch and he has calm eyes.

Jeter isn't clutch. Jeter is simply a very good player. He goes through hot streaks and slumps, just as every player does. Jeter has had good postseason series, and he's had HORRIBLE postseason series. When you think of Jeter's postseason or as many like to call "clutch" play, what might you think of? The flip-play? Yes. The walkoff homerun in the World Series? Yes.

Little does anyone know that Jeter batted .148 in the 2001 World Series. Sure, he hit that homerun, but perhaps had he done anything in that series, the Yankees wouldn't have lost. He was the worst player on the field for the Yankees for a good 2 week stretch of that October. And the Yankees lost, so it's not like his poor performance was overshadowed by a Yankee championship.

But does anyone blast Jeter? No. Do they blame him for the 2001 loss? No. What do they do? They name him frigging Mr. November.

I don't claim to know what I'm talking about today, either :-b , but I'm quite amazed at how the Cafe has changed my perspective on the game. This is just one example...again from only one thread. I can dig up a lot more stuff, but I don't want to further subject you (or me) to it.

So basically what I'm trying to say is....thanks. The FBC has really been more than just a fantasy baseball website for me. For a kid who is now in college trying to make it as a sports writer, the amount of knowledge that this place has offered me has really been invaluable. There is no doubt in my mind that this place has made me a better fan, and has even put me in a better position to get a career in the sports world. I've really learned about baseball through this place. And I'm still learning, which is what is so great about this place.

I really just wanted to take the time to say thank you. So thanks to menyak, Arlo and Mad for creating/running this place. Thanks to all the mods, except Mookie ( :-) ). And thanks to everyone else who posts here and shares their baseball knowledge on a daily basis. There's way too many of you to name. ;-D

PS: I look forward to celebrating the Yankees 27th championship with you all later this year! :-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thank You FBC

Postby fezzik » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Nice read...I think you're on your way to earning one of these:

;-D

I like it here too... :-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:27 pm

You had me until this:

BronXBombers51 wrote:PS: I look forward to celebrating the Yankees 27th championship with you all later this year! :-)

But overall, I agree with you. Thanks FBC! ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:13 pm

Congrats on 9,000 posts. ;-D You do know what you are talking about.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:27 pm

We could just use the advanced search feature to find more embarassing posts... ;-D

Congrats ;-D You should write some articles for the site if you are an aspiring sports writer ;-D
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:21 am

I hear that.

I think I'm the greatest fantasy player ever, but that doesn't mean I can't learn a thing or two. And it seems I learn a thing or two all the time when I'm on the FBC.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:55 am

I think the cafe has affected a lot more peoples fantasy sports life than ESPN or Yahoo or anything like that.

Man do I love the cafe.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:38 am

Yeah my outlook on fantasy has changed since I started posting here regularly.
I stopped trying to run my teams like real-life teams. I used to lead the league in OPS, and not do well in much else.
My miracle 2nd (of 18, and with a chance to win till the final 3 ABs) last year is thanks to some things I picked up on in here.
Now if you can get me into the play-offs of my 20 teamer we'll be sweet. :-D

Thanks cafe ;-D ;-D ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:17 am

AussieDodger wrote:Yeah my outlook on fantasy has changed since I started posting here regularly.
I stopped trying to run my teams like Billy Beane. I used to lead the league in OPS, and not do well in much else.
My miracle 2nd (of 18, and with a chance to win till the final 3 ABs) last year is thanks to some things I picked up on in here.
Now if you can get me into the play-offs of my 20 teamer we'll be sweet. :-D

Thanks cafe ;-D ;-D ;-D

fixed ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:47 am

If I'm not mistaken you also used to be one of the many "haters" of Barry Bonds before sense finally prevailed. I remember it because I haven't seen too many people "converted" on that particular issue.

I've also definitely had a similar experience. This place has taught me a lot about baseball over the years.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to General Talk