How long will Kershaw be down on the farm? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

How long will Kershaw be down on the farm?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How long will Kershaw be down on the farm?

Postby Montana168 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:04 pm

i can get kershaw AND cueto in my dynasty league because there is no waivers. ;-D the hardest part about that is i have to keep watching the 'added' list on yahoo to see when their available because i'm sure in my league they will be snatched up right away. i just hope i'm not in class or something when they add them...i would be so mad :-t
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PBRmeASAP » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:53 pm

I can still get Kershaw, but I'm concerned about eating a roster spot for a AAA player. Couple of questions.

1. Is he expected to come in and dominate like say Gallardo did last season?
2. Is it worth eating one of my roster spots for a guy who might get the call sometime this season? (I am in a keeper league, but I already have some quality keeper players)
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Montana168 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:14 pm

^^^to answer your questions...it would depend on what league you are picking him up in. i would be hesistant to add kershaw in public standard leagues where you don't have deep drafts because you need almost all your roster spots to have active players on them..maybe you can put one guy that is NA there but thats it.

i would snatch him up in all keeper leagues. this guy is going to be a stud and is the caliber of joba chamberlain as far as prospects goes except kershaw is 2 yrs. younger than joba.

torre has compared the joba situation to kershaw. kershaw might spend the first half in the bullpen until they feel he's ready (or an injury occurs) to get him in the rotation. it is also a very good possibility that he doesn't see the rotation until september or not at all. remember the kid is only 20 years old and has the world of potential and they don't want to burn out his arm too early.

i doubt they don't use him the whole year...but it is a possibility because they have solid pitchers in their rotation.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Justblaze » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:29 pm

Kershaw makes me horny, but I don't think he will be in the rotation until September, the earliest.
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:34 am

For those Yahoo! owners waiting for these guys to get added to the database ...

Cueto is your immediate target, as he's going to break camp with the big club and should be added sometime opening week.
If Kershaw joins Price in the minors to open the season, neither one is likely to be added. I wouldn't expect either of the latter two to get called up before June, but keeper-leaguers will want to monitor those situations and be ready to act.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby anti elian » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:05 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:For those Yahoo! owners waiting for these guys to get added to the database ...

Cueto is your immediate target, as he's going to break camp with the big club and should be added sometime opening week.
If Kershaw joins Price in the minors to open the season, neither one is likely to be added. I wouldn't expect either of the latter two to get called up before June, but keeper-leaguers will want to monitor those situations and be ready to act.

In keeper leagues he probably should be added immediately. He's a little younger than other elite pitching prospects but I think he's probably the first to make an impact in the majors because he seems to demonstrate better control and he's in a more favorable situation than some of the others.

Price is probably next on the list, but like I mentioned, he's been injured. He also has a lot of competition with McGee and Davis both trying to get the call up, even Niemann is still hanging around. I'd be tempted to grab him now if the league were deep enough...if it's a somewhat shallow league I'd probably monitor his progress and look to add him in a few months before his name gets hot again.

Bailey has apparently looked pretty awful. I'll be watching to see if his control gets better this year in the minors and if it does, I'll consider snagging him at the end of the season. I probably won't be adding him at all truthfully. He's been with the Reds organization for like 3+ years now and he hasn't really demonstrated much progress. He has "bust" written all over him, imo.

Morales probably should be owned now in keepers, but I'd be hesitant to start him until he proves he can be a little more consistent. He could be a good source of Ks in NL only leagues, but is a pretty risky bet in mixed leagues
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheMightyPeace » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:36 am

Boys and Girls, it is time to place the jigsaw puzzle together. Why do you think it has taken the Dodgers so long to send Kershaw to AAA? I will give you a hint:

Yahoo.com stated, "Mar 26 RHP Takashi Saito pitched a simulated game Tuesday to test his left buttocks, where tightness had forced him out of his scheduled fifth appearance of the spring Monday night. Saito threw 25 pitches and experienced no notable discomfort. Pitching coach Rick Honeycutt said if Saito bounces back from that all right, he will remain on schedule to be ready for the start of the regular season."

Here is another hint:

KFFl stated "Mar 27 The Riverside Press-Enterprise's Diamond Leung reports the Los Angeles Dodgers are worried CL Takashi Saito (buttocks) won't be ready for opening day because he hasn't pitched enough due to various ailments this spring."

And here is another hint:

Rototimes stated, "3/28: As expected, Esteban Loaiza has been named the Dodgers' No. 5 starter, according to the LA Times. Loaiza will keep the spot warm for Jason Schmidt, who is coming back from shoulder surgery. It could be a while before Schmidt is ready, and until then Loaiza is a decent NL-only play."

Here is my LAST hint:

Torres has told MLB.com that he wants to keep Kershaw "fresh".

By this time Sunday, every online newpaper and fantasy baseball website will be talking about how Kershaw is a "great sleeper pick", because he will be annointed the set-up man to newly appointed closer, Broxton. It may only last a week, but Kershaw is so good, in my opinion that is all he will need to stay in the bigs for good.

GO GET KERSHAW. NOW.
TheMightyPeace
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Wrangor » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:24 am

I still think that Kershaw will be sent down to the minors to start the season. If Saito goes on the DL, that could change. As the #1 WW position in a keeper league, I would love to see him start in the bullpen, and slowly be moved to a rotation spot to keep his innings down. I also own Joba, so those two would progress nicely for me.

I am going to wait on Kershaw, and let Cueto pass me by, simply because I don't trust Dusty Baker with a young arm. Price is looking a bit shaky to get called up this year, and it looks like Kershaw is pretty much a sure thing. Good info on this thread.
Wrangor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Montana168 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:10 am

that is good news for kershaw. there was a yahoo! article that said that torre feels the joba situation could be similar to what they do with kershaw. i would love to see kershaw start the season in the BP then he will finally be added the yahoo database before he becomes huuuuge news and i somehow miss him being added on yahoo and someone else gets him first.

there is no Waivers in my yahoo! dynasty league so i am hoping cueto gets added this weekend and kershaw soon as well before the news becomes big because those 2 stud would amazing in a dynasty league. Yahoo! will you please just add them already!!!!!
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby anti elian » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:44 am

Anyone remember this guy? Another name worth looking out for, lol.

Niemann might still make the Rays' Opening Day roster if the Rays are successful in their bid to trade a pitcher for a fourth outfielder.
Spin: Both Edwin Jackson and Jason Hammel have made the rotation, and are both out of options. Meanwhile, the Rays are looking for a solid fourth outfielder to backfill the sidelined Rocco Baldelli, and are apparently shopping around Jackson and/or Hammel. If one of those two is traded, the Rays likely would instantly call up Niemann to fill the vacant rotation berth.

[Breaking News] RotoWire | Fri, March 28
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates