Best MLB Player For The Next 5 Years (12th Pick) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best MLB Player For The Next 5 Years (12th Pick)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best MLB Player For The Next 5 Years (Our Turn)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:00 am

I like Ryan Howard for the next 5 years.
I think it is possible for him to have 1.000+ OPS for 3, 4 or 5 of the next 5 years.
If I can't have Howard, then I have Santana or Peavy.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:36 am

IF...IF he can stay healthy Mauer belongs on the top 5 list for best MLB players. The guy can hit and is the best player at calling a game. It's no fluke why Twins pitchers succeed. As long as Mauer is behind the plate I have no fear that the young Twins pitching staff is going to excel. Mauer's ability to call a game and his defensive abilities along with his hitting ability makes him a guy that any MLB club would covet before any power hitting first baseman or speedster.

But, I'd go Wright first overall.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby bleach168 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:52 am

Peavy for me.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby wake » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:54 am

I'd take Miguel Cabrera. I don't think Wright will still be stealing 30 bases when he's 30 years old. Most likely he'll follow a similar path to Chipper Jones in that he'll stop being a major basestealer after his late 20's.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Padsin05 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:41 am

Peavy here, yah I am a homer, but I am a firm believer of building around pitching

if it were Fantasy
Hanley
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 am

wake wrote: Most likely he'll follow a similar path to Chipper Jones in that he'll stop being a major basestealer after his late 20's.

Hmmm where did I hear this before :-D:
Yoda on Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:17 pm wrote:I've been saying this but he looks like a young Chipper Jones at the plate. Great eye, power, speed and comes through in big spots. Except Wright is a great defensive player.

He's going to be a superstar if he can stay healthy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Captain Furtah » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:23 am

RAmst23 wrote:
Captain Furtah wrote:I think I'd take

Wright or
Miggy

But why isn't anyone mentioning guys like Rios, Sizemore, Braun, etc. in 2-3 years they have a good shot to be where the Arods and Pujols' are now...

Those other guys aren't being brought up because 1) They can't produce like the other players mentioned and 2) Haven't done well long enough to warrant being in the discussion.

Braun could possibly enter the discussion, but I want to see more than one year of production from him. To me, Braun's K/BB rate is troubling, 112/29, and I'm not sold yet he can consistently have a +1.000 OPS (Not that many can). While Rios and Sizemore have very good hitting stats, they just aren't in the same category as a Miggy Cab or Pujols.

but unlike MCab Rios and Sizemore actually play defense too. We are talking about a REAL team not FANTASY. I also like the mention of Mauer a few posts up, shows some people can look at what really builds a baseball team in REAL life.
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby markj11 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:23 am

I'll take Wright for the reasons already posted and he seems like the perfect guy to build around. He has great work ethic and the ladies love him.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mugrila » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 am

oddmanout7 wrote:I don't understand where all the love for MCab is coming from. Yes he is a great talent, but he has never once hit more than 35HR, let alone 40HR. Now I am not saying he wont reach that number, but he hasn't yet. He does not steal bags. His glove leaves much to be desired and is destined for 1B. DWright has only hit the 30HR plateau once in his career, but he has a decent glove and can steal bags. And while the DET lineup may be conducive to scoring runs this season, they are all getting up there in age, while the Mets have a younger lineup that will be on base for Wright to drive in for years to come. Where is this infatuation with MCab coming from? I mean he is my #3 behind Pujols, but still...What am I missing?

Lineups have nothing to do with who to take if you're building a franchise. I'd take Miggy because I think his offensive ceiling is higher than Wright's, and when you compare their fielding from a statistic perspective*, Wright is not far enough ahead (neither are close to the best defensive 3b) to warrant taking him because of defense.

*Not always the best way to judge, but at least it's something more than just opinion. I wasn't just using FPCT either, this takes RF and ZR into account as well.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:42 pm

Mcab. He has the tools and the bat to be the best player over the next 10 years with really nobody close to him offensively. None of the other players near him on my list can match his bat. His defense leaves alot to be desired, but I will take that less then stellar defense as long I get his bat for the next 10 years. I also think he moves to first in the future, and his glove there should be at least adequate.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers