Best MLB Player For The Next 5 Years (12th Pick) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best MLB Player For The Next 5 Years (12th Pick)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best MLB Player For The Next 5 Years (Our Turn)

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:As exciting as Hanley Ramirez is, he is so bad defensively I couldn't put him in the top 5.

If HanRam gets penalized for poor defense, shouldn't the same apply to MCab?

Probably but I think Miggy can have a .330/50/150 year so I'm somewhat biased. :-D

lol. At least you're honest. Yeah, I think Miggy will have a huge year like that one of these seasons. If HanRam were to have a .330, 30 HR, 50 SB year (like he almost did), would that change your mind?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:11 pm

rookies and cream wrote:lol. At least you're honest. Yeah, I think Miggy will have a huge year like that one of these seasons. If HanRam were to have a .330, 30 HR, 50 SB year (like he almost did), would that change your mind?

SB are fairly overrated in real life...they're nice and all but its one of the last things I'd be worried about in building my real life team. Just my opinion.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby DevilDriver » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:11 pm

phys wrote:I'm was surprised when I read through the posts and nobody mentioned Matt Holliday yet.

His numbers are extremely inflated by Coors. He's a good hitter regardless, but he's not close to the level as the other guys being mentioned.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:12 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:As exciting as Hanley Ramirez is, he is so bad defensively I couldn't put him in the top 5.

Absolutely but I don't think Hanley is as good of a hitter as M-Cab.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:14 pm

RAmst23 wrote:I'm going with Mr. Albert Pujols.

Yes he's probably going to miss some time the next year or so with Tommy John surgery, but taking into account all 5 years I'd still rather have him. Pujols plays a position that does not put a ton of wear and tear on his body. He's one of the best, if not the best, defender at his position while being an excellent base runner. The lowest OPS he has ever had in a season was .955, and that was in 2002. His average year is .332/.420/.620 with 42 HRs/128 RBIs/126 Rs. Not to bash Miggy Cab by any means, but his line is .313/.388./.542 with 31 HRs/118 RBIs/101 Rs. Obviously Miggy is not a bad player, I just think Pujols' numbers are superior.

I do realize this is a looking forward exercise and not looking to the past, but I still like Albert. I think he'll continue to be a dominate player for the next 5 years; with a superior bat/defensive skills/baserunning ability. He can absolutely carry a team when on a tear like no one else can, so he's my pick.

If not for the looming TJ surgery I would agree.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby DevilDriver » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:

Absolutely but I don't think Hanley is as good of a hitter as M-Cab.

You also have to consider MCab plays 3B while Hanley is a SS.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Current Talley... 12 votes...

MCab - 4
Wright - 3
Pujols - 2
Peavy - 2

....i've seen some guys post some thoughts but not make a vote...what say you?

3 more votes to move on.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:If HanRam gets penalized for poor defense, shouldn't the same apply to MCab?

Probably but I think Miggy can have a .330/50/150 year so I'm somewhat biased. :-D

lol. At least you're honest. Yeah, I think Miggy will have a huge year like that one of these seasons. If HanRam were to have a .330, 30 HR, 50 SB year (like he almost did), would that change your mind?

Miggy hitting .320 has become basically a guarantee, Hanley isn't there yet.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:41 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
phys wrote:I'm was surprised when I read through the posts and nobody mentioned Matt Holliday yet.

His numbers are extremely inflated by Coors. He's a good hitter regardless, but he's not close to the level as the other guys being mentioned.

Yep, Holliday's home/away splits are unbelievable to look at...I love him, but it's clear that he benefits greatly from playing in Coors.

I would have to take Pujols, with M-Cab as my other choice.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:44 pm

I think it depends on where HRam ends up at the end of his contract (isnt it expiring in 2010?). If he ends up with either NY team or BOS, he could jump over wright and cabrera (especially if he signs with BOS and that ballpark).

There seems to be two different questions on the table here - one is who will be the best player in the next five years and the other one is who would you start a team with? For the first question, if we are just considering their current situation (team), I would go with Wright. The guy is a five tools player and is still improving. Why not Cabrera? The issues with Miggy are his lackluster defense and the aging lineup around him. For who would I take if I was starting a team, it would def. be Miggy.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers