Best MLB Player For The Next 5 Years (12th Pick) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best MLB Player For The Next 5 Years (12th Pick)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best MLB Player For The Next 5 Years (Our Turn)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:25 pm

As exciting as Hanley Ramirez is, he is so bad defensively I couldn't put him in the top 5.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:27 pm

Miguel Cabrera

He's young and consistently great.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby fezzik » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:32 pm

J35J wrote:Looks like my choice of Santana or Peavy isn't very popular......I'm going pitching pretty much every time when starting up a real club. Thats just the way I roll though... :-)

I agree in real baseball great pitching dominates great hitting...I'll take Peavy. Peavy is two years younger than Santana and his home/road splits are the same, so it doesn't look like PETCO is inflating his numbers.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Interesting topic.

I am suprised that some of you guys are picking players already in their peak years. I love Sanatana and Pujols as much as anyone, but 5 years from now when they are 34ish? ARod will be pushing 40. Not so sure about that. Its also real tough to go with pitching a well since they are statistically more injury prone than hitters. You can make a real strong case for Verlander, Hamels, Kazmir, or King Felix as these guys are all just about to enter their prime.

I guess Im not so brave to pick a P though. Tough to make a decision between Wright and Cabrera - as was pointed out, Wright is more versatile, but I think we are seeing the next Pujols in Cabrera. And since Im an admitted homer, I will go with the guy the Tigers locked up for the next 8 years. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 pm

I'd take Miguel Cabrera or Jake Peavy, probably with Peavy getting the edge more because pitching has been winning championships rather than who I like the most.

It's harder to automatically go with a starter right now when Santana and Peavy are not touching guys like Pedro and RJ in their primes. I'd take either of them over any hitter from the streoids era if I were building a team without thinking twice about it.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby phys » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:53 pm

I agree with Corn. Many of the names being thrown out there are at or past their prime.

I'm was surprised when I read through the posts and nobody mentioned Matt Holliday yet.
phys
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:As exciting as Hanley Ramirez is, he is so bad defensively I couldn't put him in the top 5.

If HanRam gets penalized for poor defense, shouldn't the same apply to MCab?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm going with Mr. Albert Pujols.

Yes he's probably going to miss some time the next year or so with Tommy John surgery, but taking into account all 5 years I'd still rather have him. Pujols plays a position that does not put a ton of wear and tear on his body. He's one of the best, if not the best, defender at his position while being an excellent base runner. The lowest OPS he has ever had in a season was .955, and that was in 2002. His average year is .332/.420/.620 with 42 HRs/128 RBIs/126 Rs. Not to bash Miggy Cab by any means, but his line is .313/.388./.542 with 31 HRs/118 RBIs/101 Rs. Obviously Miggy is not a bad player, I just think Pujols' numbers are superior.

I do realize this is a looking forward exercise and not looking to the past, but I still like Albert. I think he'll continue to be a dominate player for the next 5 years; with a superior bat/defensive skills/baserunning ability. He can absolutely carry a team when on a tear like no one else can, so he's my pick.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby fezzik » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:58 pm

phys wrote:I agree with Corn. Many of the names being thrown out there are at or past their prime.

I'm was surprised when I read through the posts and nobody mentioned Matt Holliday yet.

Peavy is a year younger than Holliday...he's only 26. And I thorougly agree with Grounded Polo that the choice would be a no-brainer if either RJ or Pedro were entering their primes.

I'm a big Holliday fan as well (see sig), but there's no guarantee I get to play my home games in Colorado...which have significantly padded his stats (see home/road splits).
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:01 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:As exciting as Hanley Ramirez is, he is so bad defensively I couldn't put him in the top 5.

If HanRam gets penalized for poor defense, shouldn't the same apply to MCab?

Probably but I think Miggy can have a .330/50/150 year so I'm somewhat biased. :-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers