Carlos Gomez or Jerry Owens!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Carlos Gomez or Jerry Owens!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Carlos Gomez or Jerry Owens!!!

Postby 5 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:18 pm

I'd rather have Gomez. I don't like the Guillen fickle factor in Chi-town.
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ryno23 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:41 pm

Jerry Owens has been placed on the 15-day DL.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby roid_popper » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:47 pm

dc928 wrote:Compare to both of them, I rather have Willy Tarvarlos or Michael Bourn at lesat they get the job set. Owens and Gomes might lose their job due to competition, especially Owens.

I assume you mean Taveras. Taveras and Bourn are getting drafted in most leagues. Owens and Gomez would be waiver pickups. We are looking at these guys as sleepers.
roid_popper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:21 pm

Jerry Owens will start the regular season on the 15-day disabled list after an MRI Tuesday revealed a slight tear in his right adductor muscle.

It's a tough break for Owens, but the White Sox would be better off if someone else steps up and claims the job in his absence. Brian Anderson and Carlos Quentin both figure to make the team now. However, unfortuantely for Quentin, Nick Swisher will likely continue to play mostly left field, with Alexei Ramirez and Anderson splitting time in center.

:-P What are the chances he comes back and provides value in a deep 16 team league?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby roid_popper » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:25 pm

silverZ wrote:
Jerry Owens will start the regular season on the 15-day disabled list after an MRI Tuesday revealed a slight tear in his right adductor muscle.

It's a tough break for Owens, but the White Sox would be better off if someone else steps up and claims the job in his absence. Brian Anderson and Carlos Quentin both figure to make the team now. However, unfortuantely for Quentin, Nick Swisher will likely continue to play mostly left field, with Alexei Ramirez and Anderson splitting time in center.

:-P What are the chances he comes back and provides value in a deep 16 team league?

Ouch! Looks like Gomez gets the edge now.
roid_popper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby shasty mcnasty » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:38 pm

silverZ wrote:

if he's healthy, i think the chances are very good that he will come back and give value. i'm not sure where the above quote came from, but i think it's highly unlikely that one of the other outfielders will take the job in his absence, mostly because the Sox really envision him as the leadoff-flea guy that gets on base and then agitates the pitcher to death, driving up pitch counts, etc. Ozzie really likes that kind of game, and Owens is the only guy that can really do it for the Sox. Cabrera can kinda steal, but he's just not quite that same guy. I think if Owens gets his legs totally healthy, then the job is his. Anderson and Quentin were never really in the running for the CF job in Spring Training, i mean Owens won it while dealing with this injury the whole time, and basically not even running, and that's with Anderson being a much better fielder. The Sox want Owens in CF and leading off, period. If he's healthy, i think it's highly unlikely that any other scenario would play out. In a deep 16 team league, i'd hang onto him unless you've really got alot of DL issues.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby hwiggen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:46 am

The Sox WANT Jerry Owens to be their leadoff hitter this season.
Anderson is a great fielder but (so far) he can't hit big league pitching.
Ramirez would have to go nuts with the bat to take the CF job.
As for Quentin, no one really wants Nick Swisher as their everyday CF, do they? That leaves Quentin on the bench until Dye goes on the DL.
Unless this injury lingers and nags, I expect Owens to be starting three weeks into the season and still approach 40 steals.
Of course, that's a big if.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby silverZ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:29 am

That quote came from rotoworld. You guys made me feel better about holding onto him until at least may.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates