5x5 advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5x5 advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5x5 advice

Postby ssjl » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:49 pm

Every draft I've seen 14 team 5x5 roto-Prior-schilling-Pedro-Randy-Halladay-wood all go in the 1st or early 2nd round.Realistically if you have the 7th pick or higher & you don't select a pitcher in the 1st round by the time your turn comes in the 2nd round the top tier boys are gone. What advice can you give? Draft the pitcher in the 1st round or go for the best hitters in the first 2 or 3 rounds & start picking up tier 2 & 3 pitchers later.The only problem with that is the pitching staff without the horse on the list doesn't look awesome.
ssjl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:51 pm

Draft hitters the 1st 3 rounds then look for a pitcher. There still should be some good pitchers left at that pick.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:04 am

Randy Johnson?

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: 5x5 advice

Postby MikeeDee » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:23 am

ssjl wrote:Every draft I've seen 14 team 5x5 roto-Prior-schilling-Pedro-Randy-Halladay-wood all go in the 1st or early 2nd round.Realistically if you have the 7th pick or higher & you don't select a pitcher in the 1st round by the time your turn comes in the 2nd round the top tier boys are gone. What advice can you give? Draft the pitcher in the 1st round or go for the best hitters in the first 2 or 3 rounds & start picking up tier 2 & 3 pitchers later.The only problem with that is the pitching staff without the horse on the list doesn't look awesome.

A pitching staff doesn't have to look awesome. Vazquez, Brown, Oswalt, Hudson, Zito aren't bad either. In fact I'd rather have say: Beltran and Tejada and then Hudson, than start of with Pedro than get Manny/Maggs and Brian Giles.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hooligan1 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:06 pm

14 teams is a little tougher than what I'm used to : 10 teams. I target the 5th round for my first starter. Last year I went with this strategy and got Halladay in the 5th and Schmidt in the 8th.... There are always good pitchers who slide farther than they should. With 14 teams, I don't think you can risk going any beyond the 4th round before drafting a SP. It also depends on what your fellow owners are doing; if they are drafting a lot of hitters, or closers, more quality starters will fall farther. You really have to be able to read the dynamics of your individual draft.......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:53 pm

How about a 12 team league. Would the 5th round rule apply then?

And would someone like Gagne, who will certainly be gone well before that, be an exception?
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:25 pm

kentx12 wrote:Draft hitters the 1st 3 rounds then look for a pitcher. There still should be some good pitchers left at that pick.

That is what I would do.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers