Brush with greatness. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Brush with greatness.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brush with greatness.

Postby metsfan1969 » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:23 pm

I would like to hear about your own brush with greatness. For those of you who don't know, a brush with greatness is a brief experience you may have had with someone famous (in this case a famous baseball player).

So here is one of mine.

I grew up in Auburn, NY watching our NY-Penn league Auburn Astros play in Falcon Park. Now anybody who knows about A league ball knows that every once in awhile a future great comes to town. I was at a game once when Auburn was playing Niagara Falls. It was like 1975 and Dale Berra was playing for the Niagara Falls team. Well, guess who came to see his son play ball? Yogi sat in a box right in front on the third base line. I was at the park with my dad and my cousin and we sat right behind Yogi. Man, I was in awe. I was sitting 1 row away from the same box Yogi Berra was sitting in! The local paper took a picture of Yogi and I could see myself in the background.

To me, a true brush with greatness.

And then there was the time that Bob Feller came to town.....but that's another story.
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bennyy22 » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:34 pm

i live about 1 hour away from shasta college. its a small comunity college. i went there to see a football game once. if you dont know Jason Sehorn of the NY Giants played football there and got drafted to the NFL from there. amazing because its just a small JC. well at the time he wasnt famous but i was right at the sidelines talking t all the players and sehorn come up tp me and we talked, and we shook hands, and both walked away. then 3-4 years later i see his name on TV playing for the NY Giants. man was i fired up!
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

-Yogi Berra
Bennyy22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Brokentusks9 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:06 am

Waaay back in the day, Late 80's when I was still just a youngin.. We took a trip to KC. My parents took me to see Arrowhead Stadium (Was it Arrowhead back then??) either way.. We pull in the lot and it's totally empty, it was the offseason. We're getting ready to leave, and up pulls a Security Guard in a GolfCart and he asks if we want a tour. Nice as can be, that guy! He was fantastic. So he's showing us all around the stadium and then he takes us on the field to see acouple of the players working out. They've got the ball-machine set up and their taking turns catching it downfield. THEN the players are like "hey come here little kid" so we walk over to them and they're talking to us and they tried getting me to catch acouple passes but I wouldnt have it.. I was scared of them.. lol. Anyway, they signed a ball for me, and we were off on our merry way. Great time. (Carlos Carson and Albert Lewis were the players in case anyone cares - yep, still got the ball)
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Splinter » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:25 am

My grandfather used to scout for the Reds(I'm from Pa.)and we had gone to see a game.The morning before the game we ate breakfast at Johnny Bench's Homeplate restaurant.There eating his breakfast was none other than Charlie Hustle himself,Pete Rose.This was mid 70's and he truly was one of the greats.I didn't want to ask him for an autograph but my pap told me it was OK.I asked & he politely gave me one.He was having scrambled eggs & bacon that morning...same as me!
Splinter
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby metsfan1969 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:12 am

I just love reading these stories! :-D Anymore? I think as sportsfans we've all had 1 or 2 brushes with greatness that we can share.

Thanks!

BTW, it must have been truly awesome to see Pete Rose sitting there eating breakfast. I would have been like 8-o .
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Postby cwebb » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:38 am

A few years back I visited NY, when on my last day there I walked through town, there was a new sports store that just opened. Ignoring the long row of waiting people :-b , Dan and I went right in, to the lower level. So, there was that sign "Do not take photographs".

It took us less than five minutes to get pictures taken with Phil Simms. :-D

Okay, this might be football, but you gotta admit that's also a brush with greatness. And it's really a great thread. ;-D
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk