Take A Flyer on Cantu? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Take A Flyer on Cantu?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Take A Flyer on Cantu?

Postby Little Lee » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:02 pm

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/art ... p&c_id=fla

This article and his play this spring would suggest he may be worth a look. Sounds like a man that realizes his career is in the balance at 26 and worked hard in the off season to get himself ready.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Take A Flyer on Cantu?

Postby perch44 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:24 pm

If yahoo would actually put him in the player pool, i would be picking him up today. with his increased size, and totally healthy again, and that he's 26, he could be in line for another monster year.
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."

perch44
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Snacks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 pm

I agree. I'm just waiting for yahoo to add him. I'm gonna actually drop Encanarcion and pick up Cantu as my back up and if he hits I'll stick him in as a Utility player.
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevethumb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:01 pm

Snacks wrote:I agree. I'm just waiting for yahoo to add him. I'm gonna actually drop Encanarcion and pick up Cantu as my back up and if he hits I'll stick him in as a Utility player.

you don't want to do that...eencarnacion is a contributor in all cats and is much more valuable than cantu and hits in a great ballpark in a solid lineup
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Snacks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 pm

stevethumb wrote:
Snacks wrote:I agree. I'm just waiting for yahoo to add him. I'm gonna actually drop Encanarcion and pick up Cantu as my back up and if he hits I'll stick him in as a Utility player.

you don't want to do that...encarnacion is a contributor in all cats and is much more valuable than cantu and hits in a great ballpark in a solid lineup

I'll be honest - I'm tired of buying into all the Encarnacion hype, which I did last year, and am doing again this year - albeit to much less risky extent. Sure his upside is great, but he's never gonna see that upside. Once again he's having an amazingly average spring and he'll start the season that way, the Reds will talk about replacing him and then around late July he'll start hitting just enough for them to stick with him. Now we've seen what Cantu is capable of when motivated, which I firmly believe he is now. Since Edwin's my back up, I have David Wright, I feel comfortable taking a flier on Cantu. Call me crazy, most do, but I really think that Cantu will return to being a very good hitter this year.
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EverybodyHits » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 pm

nice add for longoria owners. lol oops..
EverybodyHits
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigKahuna83 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:40 pm

any clue when Yahoo will add him?

I think he is worth a flyer for sure
BigKahuna83
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tigers1223 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:01 pm

I am so sick of yahoo. The cafe provides me with a significant advantage over the others in my league that use sites like ESPN, etc. and I go to add the players before anyone else hears about them. Because of the delay, ESPN foxsports etc jump on and blow up my advantage, then everyone is after the player I could of had easily if the would add the players from the start.
Tigers1223
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby BigKahuna83 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:11 pm

i agree. What really makes it strange is that they ahve so many players listed who have never or will not ever sniff significant time in the Big Leagues while some players who have been projected to be starters for months are not even listed at all.
:-t :-t :-t
BigKahuna83
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snacks » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:32 pm

There's a guy from Yahoo who actually reads this site and responds very often - which is very cool - and he says that they don't have any set criteria, they just don't like to jump the gun. There's a whole thread like 8 pages long about "when are they going to add Johnny Cueto!" I agree, I'm tearing my hair out, or what's left of it, waiting for Cantu and Cueto, but also Clayton Kershaw who I want for my keeper league. I check a couple of times a day because my keeper league and a few others I'm in are No-Waivers, so it's first come, first serve. As soon as I see his name pop up I'll post it here - and if you beat me to it, let us know. C'mon Yahoo, you're killing us!

Snacks
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates