1st Closers to Lose Their Jobs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

1st Closers to Lose Their Jobs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 1st Closers to Lose Their Jobs

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Yes, Cordero is a very nice mention here.

how? hes never had his ERA higher than 3.50, pitched very well during the spring, and if dealt, would probably go to a team like arizona, chicago, milwaukee, as the closer. sure the possibility of him being dealt to a contender is there, but i dont think anyone needs to worry about cordero in the least.

Correction: The possibility of him being dealt to a contender is high.

If dealt he's likely to be a setup man, and I think it's very, very likely he will be dealt. So he won't lose his Was job while he's still there, but I think odds are very low he's the Was closer at the end of the season.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:56 pm

I am really puzzled still as to why people think Sherrill will lose his job. To who? He pitched very well last year and has experience closing at AAA. There are far worse 'closers' out there who have much better pitchers competing for their job.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:23 pm

Yoda wrote:I am really puzzled still as to why people think Sherrill will lose his job. To who? He pitched very well last year and has experience closing at AAA. There are far worse 'closers' out there who have much better pitchers competing for their job.

I'm not convinced he'll lose his job as the closer but I'm pretty certain that BAL will trade him at the deadline to a contender for prospects.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:29 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:
Yoda wrote:I am really puzzled still as to why people think Sherrill will lose his job. To who? He pitched very well last year and has experience closing at AAA. There are far worse 'closers' out there who have much better pitchers competing for their job.

I'm not convinced he'll lose his job as the closer but I'm pretty certain that BAL will trade him at the deadline to a contender for prospects.

Ok but you do realize that people are expecting him to blow up and lose the job per the title of this thread?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:how? hes never had his ERA higher than 3.50, pitched very well during the spring, and if dealt, would probably go to a team like arizona, chicago, milwaukee, as the closer. sure the possibility of him being dealt to a contender is there, but i dont think anyone needs to worry about cordero in the least.

Cordero has watched his ERA, WHIP, BB, H and ER climb in each of the last three seasons. He put runners on at an alarming rate last year, and this year will be pitching half his games at a less pitcher friendly home park. People are throwing names out left and right; but removing injury and trade from the picture, I have Chad Cordero as one of the top 3 guys who will lose their closing job this season. Having Jon Rauch waiting in the wings only makes it an easier decsion.

how can you simply remove injury from the equation? thats a big part as to why i see cordero as reliable as he is. he's never had an injury. compared to about 5 closers who are already hurt, hes safer than most to me.

Removing injury from the equation in that, I didn't want to discuss closers who have a greater likelihood of getting injured -- I've been there and done that.

Given the likelihood of Cordero being traded, Washington will probably keep him Closing to get him as many Saves as possible to up his value, but I do not like him this year in the slightest. If not for this, I think he would be one of my top choices to possibly lose his job due to performance.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:27 pm

Yoda wrote:
Sp_Da_Man wrote:

Ok but you do realize that people are expecting him to blow up and lose the job per the title of this thread?

I see alot of posts about guys losing there jobs because of sucking AND because of other factors like being traded. I didn't realize the thread specified why a guy might lose his job..
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:I see alot of posts about guys losing there jobs because of sucking AND because of other factors like being traded. I didn't realize the thread specified why a guy might lose his job..

Fair enough. I just see a lot worse pitchers with more competition than Sherrill that will almost definitely lose their job due to performance and or injury long before he gets shipped.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MendozaLineup » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:45 pm

Lyon, Wilson, and Wood should of course be on the list, given their lack of experince....

Maybe Saito really is banged up, and this is truly the year of Broxton...

For an out-on-a-limb, how about Street (good peripherials, but surprising number of blown saves)? I can see the blown save two days ago becoming a habit, and would possibly lead towards a change; however, the fact that Oakland will probably want to move him means that they'd have an incentive to keep him closing for a while.
MendozaLineup
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:06 am

Sp_Da_Man wrote:

Why would they trade a possible stud closer with two more years of arbitration eligibility.
They can use him this year and next year for fairly cheap, and trade him next year, after the break for prospects, if they still see that the team is goin nowhere.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZ Eff » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:58 am

In the majors he has been a situational lefty and this has grossly slanted his numbers to look decent enough. But if you look deeper you will see a career 1.79 whip and .265 BAA versus right handed hitters which is very concerning now he has to pitch the 9th inning on his lonesome.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers