1st Closers to Lose Their Jobs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

1st Closers to Lose Their Jobs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 1st Closers to Lose Their Jobs

Postby acsguitar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:47 pm

George Sherrill
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pappymojo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:48 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Corpas has a multi-year contract and Fuentes hasn't, that should tell you what the Rockies think of that situation.
Also, they thought enough of Fuentes to take him on at arbitration and beat his brains out.

This is just a string of silly statements. Corpas has a multi-year contract because he's younger and he was recently signed. Fuentes is at the end of a multi-year contract and is probably moving on this year or next. It's not because the Rockies dont think Fuentes isn't as good as or even better than Corpas. It's because Corpas is cheaper and locked up for a longer time.

As for arbitration, Fuentes lost arbitration because he was viewed as a middle reliever and not a closer. This is not a reflection of Fuentes' ability. It's just a fact that middle relievers don't make as much as closers.

Fuentes made the all star game last year as a pitcher who played half of his games at coors. On top of that, he's been a steady, reliable closer for close to three years before he got injured.

With that being said, Corpas is pretty safe, but he will struggle a bit. Fuentes is traded or gone after this year. I'm sure plenty of other teams would be happy to have him.
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Yes, Cordero is a very nice mention here.

how? hes never had his ERA higher than 3.50, pitched very well during the spring, and if dealt, would probably go to a team like arizona, chicago, milwaukee, as the closer. sure the possibility of him being dealt to a contender is there, but i dont think anyone needs to worry about cordero in the least.

Cordero has watched his ERA, WHIP, BB, H and ER climb in each of the last three seasons. He put runners on at an alarming rate last year, and this year will be pitching half his games at a less pitcher friendly home park. People are throwing names out left and right; but removing injury and trade from the picture, I have Chad Cordero as one of the top 3 guys who will lose their closing job this season. Having Jon Rauch waiting in the wings only makes it an easier decsion.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby ferris182 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:41 am

Gagne
Percival
Borowski
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby markj11 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:17 pm

I'll agree with most and say Lyon (4.86 K/9). As a braves fan I have nightmares about closer that are not big strike out guys (rember Kolb and his 3.30 K/9 that they picked up).
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby IrishDrunk » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:43 pm

ferris182 wrote:Borowski

Why no love for Joe?

I know he has been a nightmare to watch, but, he got the job done last year to the tune of 45 saves (only a few bad outings caused his ERA to spike, also)...

Wedge likes to stick with his veterans and what's worked in the past, too....I don't get it...
IrishDrunk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby -Slap- » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:55 pm

I love that people get all nervous about Takashi Saito because of his age. I've snagged him in the ninth and tenth round this year. Not bad for a guy who puts up numbers like Billy Wags in his prime.
Aaron 755
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Griffey 593
Robinson 586
Killebrew 573
Jackson 563
Schmidt 548
Mantle 536
Foxx 534
-Slap-
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Someone mentioned the Giants sticking with Brian Wilson due to nobody better and them expected not to win. I don't know this, but I think they might like Tyler Walker. He has a 3.18 ERA with 11K's in 11 IP and he's closed for them before. I think he might be set-up, so if Wilson falters I don't think it'd be a stretch to see them use Walker. Downside is that he's extremely injury prone.

Someone also mentioned Juan Cruz as a possible option in AZ. I've not seen that anywhere, and I've kept an eye out. After striking out 12/9 last season I thought for sure his name would pop up. They must still like him eating up innings and being a possible spot starter in emergencies? :-?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers