1st Closers to Lose Their Jobs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

1st Closers to Lose Their Jobs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 1st Closers to Lose Their Jobs

Postby sansav » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:44 pm

What do people think about Corpas - if he starts off pooryl does Fuentes get the job bag?
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:47 pm

sansav wrote:What do people think about Corpas - if he starts off pooryl does Fuentes get the job bag?

I think so. Fuentes' job security wasn't all that long, and he was tremendously effective prior, so I don't imagine Corpas' leash will be any longer.

I think there was an identical thread to this a few weeks ago. :-?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:00 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
sansav wrote:What do people think about Corpas - if he starts off pooryl does Fuentes get the job bag?

I think so. Fuentes' job security wasn't all that long, and he was tremendously effective prior, so I don't imagine Corpas' leash will be any longer.

i think if corpas blows 4 or 5 in a row like fuentes did, then they could make the switch, as would over 50 % of the teams in the league, but corpas is fairly safe in my opinion.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NZ Eff » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:12 pm

Lyon will be the first. In fact he may lose it before opening day.
CJ Wilson will also lose his job early. Maybe even before the end of May.
Sherrill will be out of the role in Baltimore before July.
Gregg will likely be traded to another team as a set up guy in late July.

Health wise, the three biggest risks are Saito, Gagne and Percival.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:38 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

i think if corpas blows 4 or 5 in a row like fuentes did, then they could make the switch, as would over 50 % of the teams in the league, but corpas is fairly safe in my opinion.

Corpas has a multi-year contract and Fuentes hasn't, that should tell you what the Rockies think of that situation.
Also, they thought enough of Fuentes to take him on at arbitration and beat his brains out.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:57 pm

Brandon Lyon is an easy candidate. I think you have to toss in George Sherrill's name into the hat as he could regress from a rather nice 2007 for him. CJ Wilson is another prime candidate to lose the closing gig but it's really wide open there.

Kevin Gregg falls more or less in the Chad Cordero/Huston Street boat as he could be prime trade bait. Gregg has a fairly good fastball that can see himself through, throws a bit wild, but I think he hangs onto the Marlins' job while the baby fish as they develop as better relievers.

I think Kerry Wood and Rafael Soriano are top 10 material when healthy and usually that's a big if for either of them. Eric Gagne isn't really a high upside man as he's had to take some heat off that fastball, which won't have him posting a gaudy K rate, but as long as his changeup is clicking, he should hold down the job. You can't rule out a possible injury either. BJ Ryan is in the same boat as Gagne. I think his upside is a bit limited in post-TJ like Gagne, but one thing Gagne has over Ryan is a full season relatively unscathed under his belt after having a few corrective elbow surgeries to repair nerve damage.

As for Corpas/Fuentes, one thing Corpas has over Fuentes is that he can keep the ball down with regularity for groundballs, which can be an advantage, pitching a great deal of games in spacious Coors Field.

As for Takashi Saito, he's had the nagging calf and now I believe it's a nagging buttocks that's had him sit out. He looked rusty against the Halos last time out as you'd believe. As long as Saito is about 75-80% healthy, I think the job is still his to lose with all those nagging injuries at his age (if the results are just so-so even), but that could also mean Jonathan Broxton vulturing saves every now and then.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:06 pm

Lyon certainly is the leader in the clubhouse with the gasoline he's been tossing this ST. But he could pull it together once it begins for real.
I like Percival to lose his job. I just think his arm is ready to fall off and once he starts trying to throw hard he will feel a twinge and retire.

Surprised Borowski didn't get a mention. Betancourt is breathing down his tight-rope-walking neck, and he's breathing fire. A poor start could see Boroski fall from the face of the fantasy planet.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pangbones » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Lyon tops this list for me. He just doesn't have very good stuff, and the D Backs have several "better" options IMO. I could see 3 guys getting double digit saves in Arizona this year.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:14 pm

It's nearly impossible to predict who will lose their job. Mostly due to small sample size and manager tendencies. Even if you are a horrible pitcher, unless your name is Jorge Julio, it's not hard to put up 50-60 IP of good enough numbers to keep the job. Even if you post bad numbers, as long as you get the SV then the manager will keep giving you the ball.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:37 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Who knows what Percy will do in TB, he's looked bad of late and alreayd came out of retirement once. Salas, Orvella, or one of the young stud arms in the minors could step up.

Salas still has not gotten back into America from the Domincan and won't be on the 25 man roster anytime soon and Orvella is already on the DL with shoulder problems and is most likely done with the Rays.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers