Soriano... should we be worried? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Soriano... should we be worried?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano... should we be worried?

Postby jnormy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:55 pm

Just read this on RotoTimes.com:

Mar. 24 According to Greg Fieg's MLB Rumors Blog, Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano (OF) CHC looked uncomfortable and out of form Saturday as he struggled to make contact in the batting cage at spring camp. He also failed to make the trip to Tucson for a much anticipated contest with the crosstown rival White Sox. The report noted that Soriano was unable to make clean contact, fouling off coach Gerald Perry's soft batting-practice lobs into the overhead netting or behind the plate. "Though Alfonso may have gotten past a broken finger tip earlier in camp, it appeared clear that he continues to baby his sore quadricep, in which he has diminished confidence since tearing it last season." The Cubs outfielder is hitting .320 in 25 appearances this spring, but he has only one home run and no stolen bases.

He just swiped his first base of the spring yesterday, so this report surprised me. Has anyone actually seen him play in any of these exhibition games? How does he look running? As someone who decided to keep Fonzie instead of Bedard in the 2nd round of my keeper league, I'm not liking this latest news one little bit... :-o
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Soriano... should we be worried?

Postby redwings122 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:24 pm

I wouldn't worrie too much on this.
Fantasy player since '99.

"That's what she said!"
redwings122
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby jnormy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:32 pm

redwings122 wrote:I wouldn't worrie too much on this.

Because....??? :-?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Kind of a wierd report. I am not pleased to hear it but am not sure how much faith to put in it either. I guess as a Cubs fan, I have to get used to paying $138 million bucks for one year of peak production which was hampered by injuries? !+)
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:20 pm

sounds pretty pessimistic, i wouldn't be so down on soriano.

he's not leading off until the weather warms up and his quad feels better. thus no SBs for now, but i think this is the right thing to do so he can bat leadoff when he's physically and mentally ready. if he foolishly messes up the quad or something, it's going to be a long year for soriano owners.

what worries me is how long he'll be out of the leadoff spot. because we all know that's the spot he excels and feels the most comfortable in.

the news about his first SB yesterday is a good news though. so far he has 2 HRs and 1 SB (1 CS) in spring.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jnormy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm

Yeah, after I posted this thread, I saw that he was in the lineup in the two hole against Texas today, and had a walk, RBI, and run scored. Feeling better already, thanks for the insights dudes. ;-D
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tmlfan4ever » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Awesome, very first "Player X... Should we be worried?" post of the year. Many more to come I'm sure.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jnormy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:22 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:Awesome, very first "Player X... Should we be worried?" post of the year. Many more to come I'm sure.

Very first??? Where ya been dude, I was hardly ahead of the curve here. There have a bunch of posts re. Pujols, Ichiro, Bedard, et al that beat me to it by a considerable margin. But I'd be happy to take credit for being the "first" if there's a stipend attached to that designation! :-D
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tmlfan4ever » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:35 pm

By April 3rd we’ll have one for every single player that doesn’t hit a homerun in the first series, lol.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates