Jake 'no mistake' Westbrook - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jake 'no mistake' Westbrook

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jake 'no mistake' Westbrook

Postby Field » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:58 am

chipper wrote:
tgalv wrote:solid ratios? his era is average at best, his whip sucks, and he doesn't strike anybody out. wins could go either way. pointless to chase wins with mediocre pitchers. it's just going to be a waste of a roster spot, but if you want to pencil yourself in for 7th place before the season starts then go for it.

Wow dude, in all of your posts you make it sound like you know everything and everyone else is stupid.
It's no wonder you have Curt Schilling as your pic.

That gave me a good laugh...

I was actually intentionally ignoring this thread because Westbrook has never really been of interest to me in the past. However, I'm playing in a no max IP league so he might be useful. I had no idea about his Spring or "new pitch" so I'm going to keep an eye on him for sure.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:42 am

chipper wrote:
tgalv wrote:solid ratios? his era is average at best, his whip sucks, and he doesn't strike anybody out. wins could go either way. pointless to chase wins with mediocre pitchers. it's just going to be a waste of a roster spot, but if you want to pencil yourself in for 7th place before the season starts then go for it.

Wow dude, in all of your posts you make it sound like you know everything and everyone else is stupid.

lol at Chipper's post. I despise Schilling as well and I can't believe someone actually has an avatar of him. :-D

As I posted on another thread, in 04 Westbrook put up:
30 GS, 14 W, 215.2 IP, 116 K, 3.38 ERA, 1.25 WHIP

Those are pretty good numbers despite the lack of Ks. However, considering similar low K pitchers like Hugson, Lowe, Carmon, etc are getting snatched up at the draft, he could certainly be useful.

I am definitely keeping an eye on him and you would too if you were smart.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tigers1223 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:17 am

3.38 ??? he hasnt had an era under 4 the last three seasons and if I remember right he is a career above 4 era guy anyway
Tigers1223
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:19 am

Tigers1223 wrote:3.38 ??? he hasnt had an era under 4 the last three seasons and if I remember right he is a career above 4 era guy anyway

4.35, to be exact. Westbrook has posted a sub-4 ERA exactly once in his career (2004).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Tigers1223 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:24 am

my bad. I didnt realize that the 3.38 era was his era in 04
Tigers1223
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:36 am

Tigers1223 wrote:my bad. I didnt realize that the 3.38 era was his era in 04

Reading is your friend. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TexasStampede » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:09 pm

if you look at last year's numbers...he was actually on pace to set a new career high in k's if it werent for the injury. my point of the thread wasnt that he is suddenly turning into a world-beater but when juxtaposed against all these flavor of the day young guns...he's pretty reliable.
TexasStampede
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:33 pm

Carey Saders wrote:He's developed a new pitch that is keeping hitters honest. Might be a nice surprise this year.

A changeup
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:42 pm

chipper wrote:

Tee hee hee... this made me laugh, and I have a Curt Schilling pic myself! :-)
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jswede » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:06 pm

TexasStampede wrote:if you look at last year's numbers...he was actually on pace to set a new career high in k's if it werent for the injury. my point of the thread wasnt that he is suddenly turning into a world-beater but when juxtaposed against all these flavor of the day young guns...he's pretty reliable.

Anyhow, Westbrook came out of the gate last year horribly, then got hurt, but managed to end the year nicely:

Aug 07: 6 starts; 4-1; 1.90era; 0.98whip; 23k
Sep 07: 6 starts; 1-2; 4.14era; 1.52whip; 31k

Overall, after the A-S Break last year: 5-5; 3.44era; 1.36whip; 63k (<<<< and this includes a horrific July).

He wasn't as bad as I thought last year - in fact, his Aug was as good as anyone's. He's worth a spot on my bench -- favorable matchups - certainly if it's a 2-start favorable - he's starting.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers