B.J. Ryan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

B.J. Ryan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

B.J. Ryan

Postby alwaysnextyear » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:13 pm

He will probably start on the DL. When do you think he will return and do you think he will immediately take over the closers roll?

I love to snatch a kiss and vice versa!!!
alwaysnextyear
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: B.J. Ryan

Postby EverybodyHits » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:12 pm

it doesnt sound like he's too far behind. probably mid-april. alot like the brad lidge situation. where he's probably ready - but the manager wants to see a few minor league appearances.

nice sig, lol wtf
EverybodyHits
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby alwaysnextyear » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:18 pm

so you're saying he'll be closing by may?

It's not easy being the president of the Cory Patterson fan club, however if you know anyone who wants to redo it in his reds gear, I'm ready.

alwaysnextyear
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tmlfan4ever » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:01 pm

As a Jays fan who follows the team closely, I would say that is a little optimistic. He likely won't be "ready" for another few weeks and then will surely take a long time to work his way into an "everyday" role. I would speculate that he won't be closing games regularly until June. I could easily see him coming back in May and sharing time with Accardo.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PyroSkank » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:27 pm

I dropped him in my 10-teamer because

1) He's hurt with no clear timetable for his return. Mid-April? Maybe. Maybe May. Maybe June. Who knows?

2) Like tmlfan said, he's likely going to share closing duties with Accardo. I could see Ryan & Accardo getting the same number of saves this year.

You can always grab a moderate closer from the FA pool. I'd rather not take my chances waiting on B.J. to get better.
PyroSkank
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby alwaysnextyear » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:38 pm

Can you name me one that could possably be on the FA market that might have gotten overlooked. 10 teamer. I have Jenks and Saito, but would like to have a 3rd closer. I know this is the wrong forum for this question, but I was thinking Ryan could be my saving grace.

alwaysnextyear
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby saemick » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:49 pm

alwaysnextyear wrote:Can you name me one that could possably be on the FA market that might have gotten overlooked. 10 teamer. I have Jenks and Saito, but would like to have a 3rd closer. I know this is the wrong forum for this question, but I was thinking Ryan could be my saving grace.

I have Ryan and hope he gets better, but how can you say that there wouldn't be any overlooked closers in a 10-team league? You have to think that teams only have 2-3 RP on their squad, which is 20-30 closers/ RP on teams. Now lets suppose everyone actually has 3 (which isn't likely), that means that 30 RP are taken. Factor in the setup guys & systems that no one's sure who the closer will be (i.e. Cubs - Wood = closer now, Marmol in a month??) and I'm sure you can find someone out there. I'm in a 12-team league, and Sherrill is still out there...
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DC_Commish » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 am

In a 10-team league, I would rather cast my lot with the likes of Sherill, Percival, and Lyon, than let "TJ" Ryan suck up valuable bench space. There must be at least a couple closers available on your wire.

To reiterate tmlfan's point, there is also no guarantee that he takes the closer job from Accardo completely. It's a small sample size, but Jeremy Accardo's career numbers are stronger early in the season. His April ERA and WHIP are 1.13 and 1.00, respectively.
DC_Commish Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby alwaysnextyear » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:56 am

saemick wrote:
alwaysnextyear wrote:Can you name me one that could possably be on the FA market that might have gotten overlooked. 10 teamer. I have Jenks and Saito, but would like to have a 3rd closer. I know this is the wrong forum for this question, but I was thinking Ryan could be my saving grace.

I have Ryan and hope he gets better, but how can you say that there wouldn't be any overlooked closers in a 10-team league? quote]

I wasn't saying that there wouldn't be any, I was just looking for suggestions on who to look for. I appreciate you guys naming a few. I did pick up B.J., but I'm still going to look around for a better option.

alwaysnextyear
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Justblaze » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:20 am

Obviously Accardo would be a good option. Sleeper closers are Sherrill(probably long gone), Percival(could be good because SP and bullpen is much improved), and CJ Wilson. Pena Jr. has great stuff and would be a great option if he gets the job over Lyon.
Last edited by Justblaze on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates