Dealing with an injured pitching staff - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Dealing with an injured pitching staff

Dealing with an injured pitching staff

Postby twinkypoop » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:11 pm

I play in a 10 team 5x5 Cat Roto League, 22 starters, 3 bench and 1 DL, and I had a general question about overall strategy in terms of dealing with an injured pitching staff.

My Roster is as follows:
C Posada
1B Kotchman
2B Kelly Johnson
3B A-Rod
SS J Peralta
2B/SS Y Escobar
1/3B Figgins
OF: Ichiro, Sizemore, Rios, Kemp, V Wells, Burrell,
Bench: Burrell, Elisbury
P: Webb, Lackey, Smoltz, Escobar, Shields, AJ BUrnett, J Francis, K Gregg, C Marmol
Bench: Lidge

So, of my pitching staff, 3 pitchers are DTD (Lackey is at least 3-4 weeks before seeing action, Smoltz will probably miss the 1st week, and Escobar is also unavailable at the beginning of the season) and 1 on the DL (Lidge)

What are some strategies in dealing with a pitching staff when 40% of the staff banged up? Smoltz, Lackey and Escobar are 3 of the top 5 pitchers drafted on this team...
Do I drop some players in order to pick up others in free agency? If so, which players would you drop?
Do I wait for the pitchers to recover, and take a hit on the stats?

Thanks in advance for your help!
C: Santana
1B: Rizzo
2B Wong
3B: Seager
SS: Reyes
CI: Singleton
MI: Gyorko
OF: Kemp, Eaton, Harper, Calhoun
Util: Rasmus
DL: Goldy, Myers, Springer

SP: Hamels, Tehran, G Richards, Bailey, A Wood, Odorizzi, Stroman, Paxton
RP: Robertson, Reed, McGee
twinkypoop Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dealing with an injured pitching staff

Postby The_Show » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:27 pm

Well Lackey being out will hurt the most and will be back sometime in May. Escobar will also be out until May. Smoltz missing a week isn't much though. I say pick up another SP to replace Escobar/Lackey once one of them goes on the DL. Webb and Shields will anchor down your rotation. Burnett will help as well if he stays healthy.
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby horatio » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:39 pm

Just to add to your misery you should take note of A.J. Burnett's situation:

Mar 24 Burnett threw his first curveballs of the spring on Sunday and didn't have that great of an outing, giving up seven runs on eight hits and three walks over 5.1 innings.
Recommendation: Burnett hasn't had that great of a spring, and much of it stems from his inability to throw his curve thanks to his offseason car door incident. His spring ERA now sits at 7.36.

Mar 23 RHP A.J. Burnett had a fake nail attached to his right index finger. Burnett lost most of the nail after slamming a car door on his hand last November. Without the nail, Burnett had been unable to throw a curve in his first four spring training starts because he uses that nail to grip the seams.

-------- My advice, don't panic and do something rash, you've got a nice pitching staff, it's a long season, you should be fine.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ROC AllStars » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:34 pm

There is a strong chance that Escobar will not pitch this year. You should wait on Lackey, he should be fine after he comes off the DL. In the short term, I think you would be wise to carry an extra SP, someone you know will give you decent numbers and is NOT a big injury risk. Sometimes I find it necessary to go with fewer position players in order to keep the rotation full, though you don't seem to have too many redundancies in your roster. I might drop Burrell. Good luck!
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Beginner's Forum