Roto Help Please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Roto Help Please

Roto Help Please

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:26 pm

So I'm having a keeper draft tonight, and it's my first roto league. I've been an H2H kind of guy and haven't really been interested enough in the type of set up to try roto, but decided to do it, now.

I know that compared to H2H, you need more of a well rounded team and you can't punt cats (I don't like doing that anyways). But I was looking for advice that people have been through that would help me understand the type of system better. There is also no max innings pitched, how would you change your strategy in the type of guys you start, draft, etc.

Help is appreciated!
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roto Help Please

Postby jcde7ago » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:00 pm

I've played roto only once, and it was about 4-5 years ago...so i don't think i'd be of much help. But in any case, i would think that, with roto, multiple-category contributers would be more valuable...i know that sounds like a "duh" statement, but what i mean is, in roto i'd probably rather have Rollins over Reyes, Sizemore over Ichiro, Corey Hart/Chris Young over Dunn, etc. For pitching, you want high strikeout guys, so i would aim for Kazmir (even though he's iffy right now), Dice-K, Vazquez, Harang, Shields, etc....

I don't know how much that'll help, as it's been a while but thanks for your help with mine and good luck!
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:22 pm

jcde7ago wrote:I've played roto only once, and it was about 4-5 years ago...so i don't think i'd be of much help. But in any case, i would think that, with roto, multiple-category contributers would be more valuable...i know that sounds like a "duh" statement, but what i mean is, in roto i'd probably rather have Rollins over Reyes, Sizemore over Ichiro, Corey Hart/Chris Young over Dunn, etc. For pitching, you want high strikeout guys, so i would aim for Kazmir (even though he's iffy right now), Dice-K, Vazquez, Harang, Shields, etc....

I don't know how much that'll help, as it's been a while but thanks for your help with mine and good luck!

I actually think that a guy like Reyes is huge in roto because he can single handedly dominate a category for you.

I honestly don't change my draft strategy that much from roto to h2h except that I would find a guy like Reyes more valuable in roto. I also think that I'd target SP slightly earlier than I would in a H2H league, because you can usually find decent players on the wire.

But like I said, just draft a well balanced team, and you should be fine.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Removing max innings takes a big chunk out of what makes roto leagues interesting to me. It doesn't make streaming to boost wins and strikeouts a viable option because it's still roto but its emphasis on quality starts gets somewhat diminished. In a 1250 innings cap, I usually own 5 starters and spot start if I'm lagging behind while in H2H, I always carry 7 and only really trust 3-4 of them on opening day to still be there by the end of the month. No innings limit brings it closer to H2H drafting. I usually like drafting two legit aces, Verlander and Harang for example, just to hedge the risk that comes with them. In one league last year, I took Zambrano in Round 4 and Lackey in Round 6. Zambrano was a cancer I will never draft again and Lackey was my real ace. I normally go with the one bull strategy for H2H where I take an ace and completely blow off pitching for ages so I can build a rock solid offense that is more reliable from week to week. Comparing my H2H and Roto cafe drafts, I took Hamels in the H2H and Beckett in the Roto as anchors. I'm completely gambling in the H2H league with McGowan, Escobar, and Greinke as my 2-4 guys but in the roto, I picked up Billingsley, Pedro, and Snell. Normally, I field a much stronger staff but since both are MI/CI/5 OF, I had to make it weaker than usual but the roto staff still seems much safer.

Low strikeout starts who post good ratios like Tim Hudson are pretty valuable for roto whereas I don't touch them ever in H2H unless they just fall way too far. You can catch up on the numbers later but once you're deep in the hole with AVG, ERA, or WHIP, it is extremely hard to dig yourself out. I zone in more on guys who hit .300 with good power numbers over 5 toolers that only hit .275. It's irrelevant for a keeper but with a redraft last year, I was often benching Sizemore because his batting average was killer and it wasn't worth getting the rest of his numbers if he was hitting .200. Five toolers like Markakis and Hart are worth every penny because they provide the all around numbers and won't sink your batting average. Guys like Torii Hunter can cause more harm than good when they're putting up great 4 category numbers while your BA plummets. In H2H, you can at least write off the category and just the other great numbers to the bank.

Speed and saves are still chores to draft. I normally try having one main horse for steals, 2 guys who have moderate speed, and a flier in the late rounds like Carlos Gomez. Figgins was really valuable for me last year because even though he has zero pop, that .330 average was what stuck out. Juan Pierre is a one category wonder and a .290 average is basically what you should have anyway so he isn't ever worth it. Sacrificing some all around production on a guy who is mainly there to carry one category but ends up as a major asset in another was big though with Figgins, it's really what made him worth owning and not trading off for better all around production. I wouldn't really overvalue saves even if it is roto because it's still a keeper and you don't want to keep them unless you keep a ton of guys.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:57 pm

Amazing. This is exactly what I wanted. ;-D

Thanks everyone!
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Return to Beginner's Forum