Lidge To Start On DL! Get Gordon! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Lidge To Start On DL! Get Gordon!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lidge To Start On DL! Get Gordon!

Postby rozzz5 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:10 pm

According to Delaware Online, Brad Lidge, much to his dismay, will start the year on the DL.

Phillies put Lidge on 15-day disabled list
By Scott Lauber • The News Journal • March 24, 2008

CLEARWATER, Fla. — The Phillies today placed closer Brad Lidge on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 21. Lidge, acquired in an off-season trade with Houston, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Feb. 25. The Phillies say the stint on the disabled list will allow Lidge to complete his recovery from the surgery.

Lidge will be eligible to be activated April 5. That day, the Phillies are slated to play their fifth game of the season with a 1:10 p.m. start at Cincinnati.

Lidge will remain in Florida this week. He is slated to pitch in the minor-league complex Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. The Phillies open the regular season next Monday with a 3:05 p.m. home game against the Nationals.
rozzz5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lidge To Start On DL! Get Gordon!

Postby alwaysnextyear » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Is gordon really worth the pick up for 4 games? :-S

I love to snatch a kiss and vice versa!!!
alwaysnextyear
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EverybodyHits » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:18 pm

if any rangers RP are owned - gordon should be owned.
EverybodyHits
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ABA316 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:31 pm

Damn you ESPN!

Lidge showed up with the DL15 next to his name, but the dropdown wouldn't let me put him on the DL. I emailed the commish saying why can't I DL Lidge and add someone else? He fixed it but he added Gordon :-P
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slayer Rules » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:36 pm

I suppose there's a chance that Gordon could take over as Closer FT, considering how fragile Lidge's mental and physical states are.

That being said - I'm a Lidge owner and I haven't lifted a finger to pick up Gordon - the guy sucks....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dracovonborax » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Just a quick question..is Gordon then the planned Holder for the Phillies this season? he steps up to close a few games maybe and then drops back into the holder spot?
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm a Lidge owner and placed him on the DL and did not pick up Gordon. I think Gordon's as likely to blow a few saves in the week that Lidge is out rather than get them. Gordon converted only 6 of 11 save attempts last year. Any closer can have value, even a temporary one, but in this case the risk outweighs the potential reward, IMO. Now of course watch Gordon save 5 games that week in scoreless innings.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby siQ_innovation » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Hah, When Gordon took over for Myers last season it actually put fantasy owners in a worse position than they would've been in without him. I don't think he's worth the pick-up. Someone like Jonathon Broxton (if not already taken) would be a sweet pick-up because it seems like Saito is getting hurt with different injuries every other day. What is it now? some sore buttocks or something?

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:30 pm

If Gordon's ST performance today against the Tigers (0.1 IP, 3H, 3BB, 6ER) is any indication of the current state of Philly's closer position, I'd say you're probably better off going after some of the other setup-men in the league who have a shot at actually being successful when they get in the game, regardless of whether it's a save opportunity.

Scrambling for these guys now makes little to no sense to me whatsoever. If all the closers in your league are owned, and just about all the decent setup guys are also taken, it stands to reason that rather than focus picking up bottom-tier saves guys that there should be some opportunity in your league to capatilize on other statistics. Later in the year, as positions in flux start to become clearer, setup-men get promoted, and closers are put to the fire, then you've got some choices to make. Attempting to clear up this picture now is a futile waste of energy.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates