Lookin Good! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Lookin Good!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lookin Good!

Postby metsfan1969 » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:42 pm

Starter Brett Tomko tried to sneak a 2-1 fastball by Mo Vaughn Friday afternoon. Vaughn turned on that 2-1 offering, dropping it on the roof of the Cardinals' administration building some 450 feet from home plate at Roger Dean Stadium. Mo is listed at 6'1" and 268 lbs. He actually has lost a few pounds.

"Trying to sneak a fastball by Mo is like trying to sneak sunrise by a rooster".Howe said.

Al Leiter had a solid spring debut, pitching a pair of scoreless innings, allowing one hit and walking three. I've always liked Leiter and I expect he will have a better season this year when the hitting comes around.

Middlebrook looks good! This means even better things for the Mets pitching staff. Glavine looked kinda crappy but he will be the pitcher he always has been come the start of the season.

Jay Bells gonna have a better season than anybody thinks he is.

Tony Clark will shine in the outfield! Just watch and see.
Last edited by metsfan1969 on Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:14 am

I have to agree... the Mets could be a force to reckon with this year. I've been looking at Middlebrook as a major sleeper in NL-only leagues, but without quite the potential of a Brett Myers, who hasn't even been picked in my two 12-team yahoo mixed leagues (just too shallow... will have to try and snag either of the two off waivers if they get hot).

Anyway, good to hear that Middlebrook is looking good, but probably not worth getting too excited about him during spring training. Mark Bellhorn hit .450 during ST last year.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby The Jury » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:14 am

Al Leiter has been the ace of a pitching staff for the last few years. Now that the Mets have acquired a new ace in Tom Glavine, they essentially have to "ace" caliber pitchers. With Glavine starting opening day and facing most of the other aces around teh league and Leiter at the 2 spot now facing some easier pitchers, do you think Leiter will have as good as season or maybe even better than Glavine?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:19 am

Elmer Dessens was the ace of a pitching staff last year... doesn't mean he's an ace-caliber pitcher. Although Leiter is pretty much worthy of being the ace - albeit of a crummy rotation. Glavine is a true ace, and gives the Mets a nice 1-2 punch (actually a nice rotation overall, if Middlebrook steps up).
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby metsfan1969 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:05 pm

I think it's about time that the Mets picked up somebody to give Leiter a hand. Astacio did for the first half of last year, but Glavine will take a lot of the pressure off of Leiter to be "The Man" in the rotation. Leiter will definitely prosper in the number 2 role.

BTW, I don't think it's fair to compare a WS experienced pitcher with the likes of Elmer Dessens. Elmers got a way to go before he can be considered as good as Leiter.
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:15 pm

i think leiter will have an improved year. he will be pitching against a lower class and i think that his run support will be better, cant get much worse! Anyway i look for him to hit the 15-17 win plateau this year and could put up numbers "close" to glavine

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby kashikis » Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:17 pm

that was me on the last post
kashikis

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby metsfan1969 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:28 pm

I might be dreaming, but I think that if all goes well, Glavine and Leiter can throw up 20 wins each. Only a true mets fan would probably consider this!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Postby kashikis » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:17 pm

i know what you mean i think it could happen too if we get the run support this year so cross those fingers and well see what happens
kashikis

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Floyd and Alomar

Postby Ballwreckers » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:01 pm

I had a chance to watch some of the Mets/Orioles game yesterday and I was impressed with Floyds patience and Alomar looks like he is in good shape. He had a good jump to steal off of Lopez. I think he will go back to stealing 25-30 bases this year
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to New York Mets